Door mirrors - any ideas?

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
I have only ever had one door mirror on my car, on the driver's side.
I would like one on the passenger side too but could never find one to match the one I already have .
Now I have noticed a bit of corrosion around the fixing of the existing mirror, so I have decided to have it removed, get the corrosion repaired and screw holes filled then use this as an opportunity to fit two new matching mirrors.
I am looking for two chrome mirrors that will look in keeping with the car.
I don't like the original square-shaped ones, but don't want anything on there that looks wrong.
I rather like the one I have got at present so something in that kind of style would be ideal I suppose (see picture - sorry can't crop).
Can anyone recommend any to me or possibly suggest a web link to any you know about?
Would be grateful for any help anyone can give.

Attachments

• P4130483.JPG
    P4130483.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 56

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Try car builder solutions or Europa spares

I "think" I have a set of the rectangular door mirrors with excellent chrome tucked away somewhere

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Wing mounted mirrors give you a hint of what's behind.... Haha. According to Albrecht, the mirrors on mine are the original UK spec ones. I realise that doesn't help you at all though.

A2Z

Well-Known Forum User
260Z Mirrors

I cannot see the mirror detail in the image as it is too small, but if your car needs a standard one for that particular period, the mirrors fitted are branded "Pardat", but were manufactured by "Autosafe" for Datsun.

The "handed" door mirrors were universal fitting and were generally used across the Datsun cars range throughout the late 1970's. You can see from the attached images that each mirror was provided with three interchangeable bases, which were marked ""FLAT" "CONVEX" or "CONCAVE". All the installer needed to do was to select the appropriate base to suit the contours of the door, hence their universal use.

You could try Datman for a used spare on (0) 1342 321000.

I understand they are difficult to restore because they are, in part, manufactured from Mazak (also known as Zamak) which is a zinc base with alloys added.

Attachments

• Pardat Mirror (1).JPG
    Pardat Mirror (1).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • Pardat Mirror (2).JPG
    Pardat Mirror (2).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
  • Pardat Mirror (3).JPG
    Pardat Mirror (3).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • Pardat Mirror (4).JPG
    Pardat Mirror (4).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 28

Dale

Club Member
I rather like the one I have got at present so something in that kind of style would be ideal I suppose.

Your mirror is very similar to what I have on mine and I quite like them too. i personally prefer the look of the round mirrors and also like that they're also quite shallow and close to the car.

Found these which are very reasonable priced and available for both sides. http://www.penguinspeedshop.com/shop/product/21/italian-style-exterior-door-mirror/

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 145

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
I cannot see the mirror detail in the image as it is too small, but if your car needs a standard one for that particular period, the mirrors fitted are branded "Pardat", but were manufactured by "Autosafe" for Datsun.

The "handed" door mirrors were universal fitting and were generally used across the Datsun cars range throughout the late 1970's. You can see from the attached images that each mirror was provided with three interchangeable bases, which were marked ""FLAT" "CONVEX" or "CONCAVE". All the installer needed to do was to select the appropriate base to suit the contours of the door, hence their universal use.

You could try Datman for a used spare on (0) 1342 321000.

I understand they are difficult to restore because they are, in part, manufactured from Mazak (also known as Zamak) which is a zinc base with alloys added.

Thanks for that detailed reply. I appreciate these are the original item - trouble is they are just a bit too 'Austin Allegro' for my liking. I do like my car to remain close to the original in that I have not lowered it, modded it up or anything like that. But I don't mind subtle cosmetic changes that make it look (in my opinion) sharper - hence I have non-original but not over-the-top alloy wheels, I have changed the steering wheel to a hand-made Moto Lita one which I much prefer and now got original seats but re-trimmed in leather. I feel the same about the mirrors.

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
You are indeed correct..... my referance was intended to be more metaphorical, more a referance to the fact that both cars were a tad dull in the wing/door mirror department.

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
You are indeed correct..... my referance was intended to be more metaphorical, more a referance to the fact that both cars were a tad dull in the wing/door mirror department.

So don't you like the ones Dale found? I think they look quite good!

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Actually - just realised that I think they may only do that mirror for the driver's side so may have to go for the Italian-style one.

Dale

Club Member