Another new 'baby' !

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I said I'd let you know so:

It’s mine !
I was sick as a dog Wednesday and I don’t exagerate ! Thursday afternoon, I’d driven 250 miles and taken the plane from Nimes to Standstead, collected my 300ZXT and driven down to Steve Lacks’ where he and John-Boy drank my cars’ health !
What a nice car to drive – not a bit like Cathys’ 280 and miles away from my Z but really pleasant and so easy and comfortable !
It took me 42 miles before I discovered how the cruise control worked- I have a bad habit of resting my left foot on the clutch pedal which of course cancels the setting – what a fool ! It seemed to be consuming an inordinate amount of fuel – I watched the needle drop ! The gauge is obviously wonky as in fact I returned 24 mpg during the return trip back home.
So, what else is bad ? There are some rust spots, notably (but not limited to) two small holes, one under the boot lid on the left and one on the bottom, rear corner of the drivers’ door. The rear wiper arm is missing and the paint has lost its’ lustre in places. Under the bonnet, the injector cooling fan blower tube has been cut where it crosses over the belts and upon acceleration above 3000 rpm, the engine hesitates.

Apart from these details everything works and works well, the fresh air/heating system is very efficient (no airco.), the gearbox, brakes (no ABS) and the steering is light but precise. It’s not a sports-car but is a very good Grand-Tourer ! I even had the targa roofs off today in the sunshine !
All this for 500 pounds, 35 more for the Ryan Air flight and another 35 for the Portsmouth-Caen ferry crossing !

Thankyou Rod and Andy and Neil and also Petemac and Rob and Steve Burns !

So, I now have this 1987 Z31 which has five little problems ;

1) it has no rear wiper arm
2) the injector cooling fan blower tube has been cut where it crosses over the belts
3) upon acceleration above 2500 rpm, the engine hesitates/stutters
4) the horn is rather feeble
5) the rear tyres need replacing (225/50/16s)

Can anyone help out with the above, please ?

Hi,
Welcome to Z31 ownership!....Your car probably needs a good blast, if it's been standing a while, plus new plugs, wires, cap, filters etc.Also worth cleaning all the under bonnet sensors and connections too....And then reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for an hour.
At 3000rpm you should be getting a healthy surge rather than hesitation.
You'll find that the gearing is a bit long legged and you can do most of your driving in 3rd gear!
Cheerz,
JEZ

True though, the horn in my 88 2+2 sounds like a dying duck as it takes it's last gasp. embarassed to use it, in fact I prefer to roll the window down and yell at people! :eek: ;)

Hi,
My horn sounds like an agitated mouse!...I think it's rusted up and will need replacing b4 the next mot!
Cheerz,
JEZ

Hi sean

I could have the spares your looking for in a month or so, so if you can wait that long, ill give you a bell when there ready

Neil

Chris - 300ZX "T", yes, single turbo !
Guys, even if I didn't have a feeble horn at the moment (it squeaks from probably lack of use) it wouldn't be much good as she's still recovering from the birth and is breast-feeding which smothers the libido !

DJ, my friend, this is what I meant, you're a nice guy but I am capable of thanking Neil by myself, thanks ! Thanks Neil, I've patience - let me know !

JEZ, I already found out tha

Chris - 300ZX "T", yes, single turbo !
Guys, even if I didn't have a feeble horn at the moment (it squeaks from probably lack of use) it wouldn't be much good as she's still recovering from the birth and is breast-feeding which smothers the libido !

DJ, my friend, this is what I meant, you're a nice guy but I am capable of thanking Neil by myself, thanks ! Thanks Neil, I've patience - let me know !

JEZ, I already found out that if I want to overtake something on an ordinary road, I must drop it down from 5th to 3rd for the turbo to kick in ! Of course, by the time I've settled back in front, I'm doing 80 mph !
I'll be trying all your advice - me too, I think it just needs a thorough going over !
I'm very happy with it and would rather scrap Status' Twingo than my 'Big Nasty' ! Shame that the wind rustles loudly over 50mph with the targas out - takes the fun out of it !
Anyone know where I can get cheapy new or second hand 225/50/16s ?

And I did mph over there too but if you look carefully at a 300 speedo, it shows kms...........!
Of course, coming from North Surrey, one would expect this to be an English site - isn't North Surrey really Mitcham ?

Back