4 BOA resurrection. | The Z Club of Great Britain

4 BOA resurrection.

Discussion in 'Rebuilds and restorations' started by johnymd, Mar 8, 2015.

1. johnymd

johnymd Active Forum User

I've collected the car and most the parts now so time to start a build thread.

The build will continue in the same theme that Steve Adam built and pursued with this car. It will be a clubman type Z that I can use on the road regularly. Ill be using his engine and most of the parts that were on the car. Probably ever the revolution wheels. It will be lowered but nowhere near as low as Steve had it. Body will stay as original. Paint colour will be a '72 zed colour, but I'm not 100% sure which (orange, light yellow or green). The shell is the first thing I'll be tacking. It needs virtually no welding, apart from tidying up some repairs. The good thing about having a bare shell on a rottisery is you can examine and get to every inch of it with ease. The first job will be to get it sandblasted and in epoxy so I'll pop into the local boasters tomorrow to get this done ASAP. Most of the bolt on panel are perfect with the exception of the doors. I've got some spare doors so I'll pick the best shells and put the 2 new skins on them.

Annoyingly I've hurt my back so no lifting or bending so I can't sort through the truck and trailer full of parts sitting on my drive but hopefully back in action by next Saturday so I can get on with removing the last few bits off the shell.
  2. Jake RAH

Jake RAH
    Z Club Member

Looking forward to seeing pics of the build as it comes together :thumbs:

3. datsun dave

datsun dave Active Forum User

Good luck with the rebuild any pictures ?
  4. johnymd

Thanks. Not sure I want to take pics yet as it looks a bit of a mess with paint stripped in various places and surface rust on the floors. I'll get some up soon though.
  5. grahamjc

grahamjc New Forum User

In for updates and progress :)
  6. Wyn

Z Club Member

Get some pics up. :D

Don't matter what it looks like now as its the finished result that matters :thumbs:
  7. Rob Gaskin

Rob Gaskin Membership Secretary

John, the early pics are the most interesting to most people. Post up if you dare!
  8. johnymd

I'll pop over to Terry's tomorrow and take a few then.
  9. MaximG

Z Club Member

Good luck with the build John. I was talking to someone yesterday that was very interested that you had snapped it up.
  10. johnymd

Who was that?
  11. candy red

candy red
    Z Club Member

Cant wait too see what you go with John I'm sure you will make an already great car even better with a little help from you friends good luck :thumbs:

12. johnymd

Some overall pics.

Attached Files:

13. johnymd

A few close-ups.

Attached Files:

14. johnymd

Some panels.

Attached Files:

15. Joe NI

Joe NI
    Z Club Member

I remember this car from the z club magazine years ago featuring Steves engine build and other mods he was doing at the time
  16. johnymd

I'd love to get a copy of that mag if anyone has one.
  17. Rob Gaskin

Rob Gaskin Membership Secretary

Good pictures John. As you and Mike said it looks to be mostly there i.e. chassis work done but of course still lots to do.

You are lucky having a mate with facilities :bow:
  18. Joe NI

Joe NI
    Z Club Member

I have kept all my z club mags in my loft John, ill dig them out and get you the dates, they may be still available
  19. johnymd

I know it needs work but I don't see it as that much compared to most uk cars. Once all the surface rust and paint are removed and a coat of epoxy goes on it will look a hole lot better. It's booked in for this next Wednesday. Then it's sort out the rear inner arches, a few minor repairs and get on with bodywork. Can't wait to get stuck in.

Spring & Summer issues 1995 for those who still have them
    Dont have any spares myself but could scan the articles for you at last resort