1973 240z blue

AD240Z

Club Member
Due to a change in circumstances - Im going to be selling both of my cars .

Im a ( fairly) long term member of the club and would like to sell through here - possibly encourage a new member .

If you have any personal comments, observations or personal opinions regarding the car – I’d prefer you message me. I can send videos and photos to your specification on whattsapp if interested – or give you a live tour by the same if that helps.

My first car (technically my second ) is a blue 73 .

I acquired it the xmas before lockdown.

Most of what you see was done by a previous owner and the info comes from him

Blue 73 - in metallic blue ( Peugot colour ) . It gets a lot of attention on the road and sounds great with a z story exhaust.

LHD arizona import - year of import unknown but fully uk registered .

Previous owner did body restoration and upgrades below . The white roundel is vinyl.

I had the car into rustbusters - who stripped off the old underseal and photo'd the floors etc before recoating and injecting cavities - i have these pics somewhere.

The PO advertised as rebuilt SU carbs ( rebuilt ) , new clutch , timing chain , water pump, electric fuel pump - just prior to me buying it .

Ive done a few thousand miles max. since then .

Engine bay is clean and polished . Battery tray and surrounding is excellent.

It had a new fuel delivery system ( below ) and 123 dizzy installed with new coil .

The facet fuel pump is naturally a bit noisy I find at tickover – but when its running you don’t really notice it.

I know i need to sort out the sponges on the carbs - they were put there by the PO and ive never removed them .

BC Coilovers and Enkei 15 x 8 wheels with Toyo T1-R .

Front and rear Cusco strut bars

123 ignition distributor - had recent coil and HT leads .

Ali radiator and twin electric fans

The radiator and fuel pump have a manual switch - neatly fitted in the ash tray to operate

Z story 2.5" exhaust and JDM style muffler . Ceramic coated manifolds

K+N filters - and i have run it once or twice on open trumpets which are included

Electrics and gauges all work - except the radio . I like the engine sound so havent fixed it

The interior is black and also refurbed - all plastics are in great condition

It has a dashcap fitted - and ive never seen underneath .

Seats have been recovered and are in great condition as are all the carpets with 240z mats

It runs pretty well - could do with setting up properly if im being honest . I played about with the 123 settings when i shouldnt have done ........

HI-Lux front brakes

The bad bits worth noting.

It has a 5 speed box fitted and second gear synchro is worn. 2nd is sometimes tricky to get/crunchy on the downshift

Its 4 speed box is present and included - and i was assured in working condition .

I also have an S14 box sat on the garage floor - which i will include for the right overall offer for the car ( im not selling separately ) .

It could benefit from a rolling road set up – particularly the 123 ignition – this is on my list of things to do early in spring .

A PO has botched the install of the wing mounted mirrors at some point and the repairs on the wing are not to the rest of the cars standard .

Similarly - they also shut the bonnet with the oil filler cap left on the engine and has a small damage point on the bonnet .

The boot rubber trim needs gluing in.

There is some paint missing off a chassis rail - where brake fluid got on it . just needs touching up

My original plan was to list online at £29 750 with both gearboxes ( and one or two spares) – but I’m conscious of todays market – and will accept reasonable offers

Car is based in North Yorkshire - near Northallerton

Probably worth mentioning - that the reason for sale is not financial as such - its more of a space issue.

IMG_3035.JPEG

ad240z.jpgdc182af9-7611-4c8e-b894-9a5f6ba8600e.jpgIMG_0481.JPEGIMG_0482.JPEGIMG_3035.JPEGIMG_2497 1.jpgIMG_2498 1.jpegIMG_2499 1.jpegIMG_1478.JPG

Last edited:

uk66fastback

Club Member
Had much response? What do you think is holding back the sale - the weather, economic climate, levelling out of classic values etc. The car looks great - has anyone been to see it? I don't see an item description on that ebay ad ... is it just me?

IMG_2417.jpeg

AD240Z

Club Member
Had much response? What do you think is holding back the sale - the weather, economic climate, levelling out of classic values etc. The car looks great - has anyone been to see it? I don't see an item description on that ebay ad ... is it just me?

View attachment 62057

Ive had a few enquiries - an offer to swap for a porsche , and a couple of low offers .

Hard to say - im amazed bearing in mind how many watchers and views its had that i havent had something firmer .

I think its a good car and reasonable priced . Its advertised below what i think i could get for it , based on some other sales ive seen - but i need the space in my garage . Ive got one guy who wants to drive it and is interested also .

I have a second 1970 to sell too - but think ill hang on to that for now . If this doesnt sell this time ill consider storage - or an auction.

Ive just rejigged the auction - so hopefully the detail appears back in the listing now - just seemed to be a glitch

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
The car looks fantastic, I love it's look. Being completely honest there are 3 things that might be affecting the sale in the UK.

LHD, gearbox, dash cover.
What is the diff ratio?

It's not a good time to sell a car atm.

Robotsan

Club Member
I think it looks a belting car for the money. LHD is probably the biggest factor, but 29k for a really solid, very presentable LHD 240z is a great deal in my opinion. Really hope you find a buyer soon.

AD240Z

Club Member
Thanks for the comments .

Its funny - the LHD thing has never bothered me - and apart from having to reverese through mcdonalds/starbucks drive throughs - i dont consider it an issue . I know everyone is different on this and it is devisive .

Whenever i sell a car - i try to include as much good and bad as possible. I travelled to London last year to look at a car that had only been advertised on the good ( and i live on North Yorkshire) . I noted the unmentioned /unphotographed issues in 2 minutes and knew it was a waste of an entire weekend the minute i clapped eyes on it . Maybe i should change my strategy on that ................ I ll look at the diff

If i wasnt working on getting my other car up and running to sell ( solid 1970 aiming at £20k) i would probably get the gearbox swapped over .

I do think its timing more than anything perhaps - when i think of this car being around £10k less ( i think it went for in the end ) https://zclub.net/community/index.php?threads/uk-260z-2-seater-for-sale.29561

Robotsan

Club Member
Yeah LHD doesn't bother me either, but it definitely does bother a lot of people.

Just a thought, but why don't you put both cars up for sale at the same time, and then just keep the one that doesn't sell for longer? If the white one is going to go up for 20k, that might have a bigger market and therefore sell faster as its cheaper. Saves you having to take a low price for the blue one, and frees up the cash you need in the short term?

AD240Z

Club Member
Yeah LHD doesn't bother me either, but it definitely does bother a lot of people.

Just a thought, but why don't you put both cars up for sale at the same time, and then just keep the one that doesn't sell for longer? If the white one is going to go up for 20k, that might have a bigger market and therefore sell faster as its cheaper. Saves you having to take a low price for the blue one, and frees up the cash you need in the short term?

Its odd the lhd drive thing to me mate - the first one i had was an automatic mercedes - with a foot brake instead of a handbrake . I was alll over the place as id gone from a normal jandbrake - right hand drive manual . 10 minutes in , and it was just normal.

Im desperate to get the white car on the market tbh- but its stuck in the garage with no front suspension , brakes on it . Thi sis the work im trying to get done - but life is getting in the way . I will do this however if i can get my act together ............ thanks for the idea

Robotsan

Club Member
Its odd the lhd drive thing to me mate - the first one i had was an automatic mercedes - with a foot brake instead of a handbrake . I was alll over the place as id gone from a normal jandbrake - right hand drive manual . 10 minutes in , and it was just normal.

Im desperate to get the white car on the market tbh- but its stuck in the garage with no front suspension , brakes on it . Thi sis the work im trying to get done - but life is getting in the way . I will do this however if i can get my act together ............ thanks for the idea

I hear you! Finding the time is more than half the battle isn't it. Hopefully if you've got all the parts ready, that's only a day's work though? Good luck! George.

AD240Z

Club Member
Cheers George . With my skills and propensity for putting things down and losing them in seconds - you overestimate my general frank spencer approach to mechanicking - but really appreciate the support . Thanks

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
It's a great car and the sort of car I would have been interested in a few years ago.

My comments:

LHD - not a big problem for a 'hobby' car (few miles) and often better to keep a car original. However in a RHD country it's not a strong selling point.

Gearbox - selling a 240Z with a weak gearbox will affect a buyer's decision. If the buyer is not able to fix the problem himself it's a big unknown expense. Let's face it, it's bad enough if you can do it yourself due to parts unavailability. Including two unknown boxes in the sale might not help because the 4 speed would be seen as a downgrade and the S14 needs considerable work even if it's fine (I've done it). If it was me and the syncro was spoiling the car I'd fit the 4 Speed (if it matches the diff). Then sell the car as original and negotiate the S14 or sell. Just bear in mind that this is a £30k car, would you buy a £30k car not knowing if you could get the gearbox sorted?

Dash Cap - some of these are good but it is covering up a weakness (like a wig). A buyer will prefer a good dash - big appeal of these cars.

It's a great car in many ways, just trying to see the car from a buyer's viewpoint and why it's 'slow' to go.

Kieronpollock

Club Member
Ive had a few enquiries - an offer to swap for a porsche , and a couple of low offers .

Hard to say - im amazed bearing in mind how many watchers and views its had that i havent had something firmer .

I think its a good car and reasonable priced . Its advertised below what i think i could get for it , based on some other sales ive seen - but i need the space in my garage . Ive got one guy who wants to drive it and is interested also .

I have a second 1970 to sell too - but think ill hang on to that for now . If this doesnt sell this time ill consider storage - or an auction.

Ive just rejigged the auction - so hopefully the detail appears back in the listing now - just seemed to be a glitch
Still can see full description

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Gearbox - selling a 240Z with a weak gearbox will affect a buyer's decision. If the buyer is not able to fix the problem himself it's a big unknown expense. Let's face it, it's bad enough if you can do it yourself due to parts unavailability. Including two unknown boxes in the sale might not help because the 4 speed would be seen as a downgrade and the S14 needs considerable work even if it's fine (I've done it). If it was me and the syncro was spoiling the car I'd fit the 4 Speed (if it matches the diff). Then sell the car as original and negotiate the S14 or sell. Just bear in mind that this is a £30k car, would you buy a £30k car not knowing if you could get the gearbox sorted?
Rob - the gearbox issue is not such an unknown expense - it's been done so many times now and the necessary work is not rocket science nor 'huge'. Don't waste time swapping for a 'good' 4spd, just throw in the S14 box with the car as one of 'the' upgrades. The UK is in a recession, it's not time related as in 'that time of the year' - people simply aren't spending - gas and electricity prices, ULEZ and the like.....people are concerned about making it to the end of the year without debt.

AD240Z

Club Member
It's a great car and the sort of car I would have been interested in a few years ago.

My comments:

LHD - not a big problem for a 'hobby' car (few miles) and often better to keep a car original. However in a RHD country it's not a strong selling point.

Dash Cap - some of these are good but it is covering up a weakness (like a wig). A buyer will prefer a good dash - big appeal of these cars.

It's a great car in many ways, just trying to see the car from a buyer's viewpoint and why it's 'slow' to go.

Cheers Rob

My decision to sell the car a) hasn’t been easy and b) hadn’t really been prepared for .

Had I known a year ago I was going to sell it I would have put the gearbox in . Absolutely.

The dash cap is another odd one - I really don’t see it as so important - I barely notice it , would I have pulled it off and started investigating - probably not .

It’s why I’ve tried to be as honest as possible with these things . People will make their own decisions on what’s important to them .