z31 300zx - save or scrap?

youngr300zx

Well-Known Forum User
Hello folks, I'm a newbie to the forum, I've owned a manual 1989 uk facelift z31 300zx na for just over a year. It drives sweet and body work is on the good side of fair and has caused me no major problems up until now (with the exception of seized rear calipers)...but MOT time came!

Mechanically there are a couple of small jobs - a strut, a ball joint and possibly a handbrake cable but rot has spread on the underside and I just got a call from the welder today now that he's got it up on ramp and sill covers off for a decent look...by the time the rear interior is stripped out and the welding complete he is estimating minimum £750!!! :eek:

Fuel filler neck is rotten aswell (I've been using a hose inside it for a while), I've got a decent second hand one but running the risk of the tank being rotten near join and being damaged when removing the old neck could keep the cost creeping up on that repair as well.

So what do you think, is it worth saving or does this amount of welding suggest that its going to be going back for major welding time and time again making uneconomical to keep on the road?

ollyc

Well-Known Forum User
To be honest I think you need to ask how much is she worth to you? If it's just a run about that you'r not planning on keeping for a long time then I'd say you could pick up a run about for the price of the repairs. However I have spent tripple that keeping mine up and running but plan on having her for a very long time to come.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
it all depends how much you are willing to spend unless you can another Z31 in better condition.

youngr300zx

Well-Known Forum User
It is such a good driver and I'd like to get some decent summer driving out of it for sure that I almost feel as if I have to get it fixed...I'm just looking for a bit of a sanity check here I guess.
I could pick up another one for the cost of the repairs and use existing one for spares but it seems such a shame...think I've answered my own question, she stays on the road and my bank account gets redder!

Nidge74

New Forum User
I would say find another welder. I'm sure it could probably be done cheaper.

Whenever I have welding done, I remove all the interior myself to save on costs. (of course this depends on you having somewhere to store the interior when you take the car back)

Try and find a competent welder that will come to you, you'll find a lot cheaper too. I reckon you could have this back on the road for less than £800. And it will be £800 well spent.