Z styling

steveg16

Forum User
Hey guys, as a few of you know i am new to the site, i am currently looking into all the previous posts etc so i can learn all about the 240z before i actually buy one.
I appreciate that rust prevention and cure are needed before i start thinking about other things but do we see many that look like this here in the UK? cheers guys
IMG_5176.jpg

IMG_5181.jpg
http://web.mac.com/markrolston/iWeb/Site/November Z_files/IMG_5181.jpg

I've not seen any with those style arches but there are a few cars around with larger wheels and arch extensions. Are you looking to buy a car already modified or modify one yourself?

Don't you think that the joint between the front spoiler and wheelarch could be more 'fluid' ? And I would definitely lose the front wing indicator repeaters - they look like they only just fit !

What's your budget 'cos there is A LOT of money in that car and it probably started out as a very clean shell.........!

Jim Cook Racing arches ?

"Don't you think that the joint between the front spoiler and wheelarch could be more 'fluid' ? And I would definitely lose the front wing indicator repeaters - they look like they only just fit !"

I was going to say the same thing

I've got a feeling (but might be wrong) the arches are modified VW Beetle ones rather than anything off the shelf Zed related. Anyway, lots of work and money in that particular example, it's definitely known over on HybridZ which is where I've seen it before.

Cheers,
Rob

budget will be quite high, i'll be doing all of the bodywork myself so will save some cash there. Its going to take time but i'm not expecting it to be done ina few months. Off to see a 240 next week sometime, a friend of a friend has one, new pannels welded in, all rust cut out etc, its currently in primer ready for spraying but the engine has beeen put back in so it runs. He wants £4,500 for it but i'm going to work on that bit

Well to give you an idea of the cost starting from a shell, that's pretty much the same start as I had
some nice wheels and tyres £2000
Nice suspension and dampers all round £1000
Nice brakes/lines/discs £1000
Powerful engine..I guess you could just fit the stock unit back in.. £3000
fuel tank/fuel lines £1000
Obiviously that's a rough idea, add on your time and you can double that!
Then you have to paint it £400- £2000 depending on quality.
plus lots of other bits and bobs

If you're not worried about the time taken to finish the project then I'd say go for it...better than spending it down the pub :)) and you'll have an awesome car.

These versions of the full arch available through MJP:

Last edited by a moderator:
twoforty said:
Powerful engine..I guess you could just fit the stock unit back in.. £3000
Are you saying £3k for a powerful engine ? No offence but what power do you expect from that ? 200 bhp ?

But it's the time it'll take to construct a car like that (and how much you can/want to do yourself ! Mind you, if you reckon you can spend all that down the pub - just buy a pub !

I e-mailed the fella who own's that car about 8 months ago about those arches, He had them made by a sheet metal fabricator, they are a one off job as far as I know, he has a homepage for the car, I have it somewhere I'll can I find it.

Jay.

well i'd say my engine is powerful enough for any Z.
engine in bits from pmac £150 including recon'd head.
Re- bore and fit new pistons £350
Pistons £400
Bearings/gaskets/water pump oil pump arp head/crank/big end bolts etc £450
New turbo £300
exhaust manifold £80
EDIS Ignition £50
Inlet manifold £80
Injectors £300
ECU £200
3" stainless exhaust systems £300
fuel pump and filter £150
air filter and flexi 4" hose £180

Thats more than just an engine but close enough to £3k

I've never attempted anything like this before but with the internet and a few good books you can do anything.

I've been driving it a fair bit now and it pulls from low down with no noticable lag and its not even tuned yet.

So for 3k plus a few other bits and bobs anyone that can read and hold a spanner can do it.

I believe the arches on the car shown are steel from Victoria-British ... I was looking at them for my car but decided they were too "bubble" and 80s for what I was after.

Sean I know people that think nothing of spending £300 in the pub at the weekend every weekend for at least the last ..err...20 years...thats a lot of cash to waste but thats up to them I guess. Maybe i know a lot of p*ss heads :))

cheers mate, i think i'll order some once i have the car. Failing that i'll make some like on my other car.....absolute pain in the arse though

Back