yay

surreyseagull

Well-Known Forum User
well after about 14 years today i fitted new clutch master and slave cylinder to z and she moved out of garage under her own steam.only gently as brakes havnt been bled yet and didnt want to upset my old man by driving straight into his wall !!!
anyway we had a good look at underside and its not great..
drivers side floor seems ok but chassis rail is shot to pieces.
passenger side chassis rail seems ok but floor has big hole in it.
anyway looking for advice in which way to go..im thinking either brand new floors with chassis rails built in.or chassis rails from someone like bad dog parts that go over the cars rails and patch up floors.
not to fussed about looks,but want strentgh..any advice cheers..

I'd do the job properly first time, So go for the new floors and rails otherwise you may end up doing the job again at a later date.

Rob

how far do the floors go..is it from bulkhead to the area behind seats where those cubby hole things are??.
how much in labour would i be looking at?
would the strength/straightness of car be affected when old floors cut out??

I think they go right back to the cubby holes, I have to do this job myself in the future because my floors have been replaced with steel plate and I'd like the originals back in, Not for looks or even for originality as I don't give a toss about either lol, I want them done just so I know everything is new and strong.

As for cost I doubt if it's going to be a cheap job, The floor sections are something like £320 for both from Mike I believe.

Rob

nice one cheers rob..just wondering if id have to get the car to a garage on trailer or someone could do it round my parents where the car is..the front end was rebuilt by fourways many moons ago before it went into garage.so thats one less expense..

I replaced my chassis rails under the floor with standard 'top-hat' section and went all the way to the back of the floor. Floor on driver's side was just secondhand Dexion shelving back panel! Total cost - next to nothing, you don't have to buy expensive parts, just get yourself skilled. I went to technical college to learn and then used secondhand gas welding kit (big bottles) not even Mig, - again cost bugger all!

Inner wing/engine bay chassis repairs done with fabricated sheet metal.

Car is off to Spa in May and no doubt will give me and my lad lots of fun!

Back