Wicked Rimz

Wyn

Club Member
Ennit
thumbsup_old.gif

What do peeps think of Zs on 17” or even 18” rimz?

Virtually all the pics I’ve seen show Zs with the car on the std 14 or 15” rim size?
Ok maybe they’re on wolfies, but the size is still restrained.

I guess the smaller size rims gives the car a more classic look, whereas the larger rims will bring it up to date more.
Don’t see many about tho?

I take it there isn’t a problem running larger rimz on these cars?

Rims larger than 15s on a Z look horrible unless that car is destined solely for the track !
Opinion asked for and delivered - and I 'll never change it !

As Grolls says width is the main issue as any wider that say 8" will cause issues with the inside of the rim bashing the spring and the outside bashing the wheel arch. Mark Rayner (aka "Da Man") has a nice set of Kosei 18" rims, I believe they're 7" width so no fitment issues. I've got 16x8 on the rear which seem to clear OK. If you want to go wider then you need to get coil over suspension and wheel flares.

The magical figures for wheel fitment are 4x4.5"PCD (4x114.3mm), 0 offset, maximum 4.5" backspace (distance from the wheels hub mounting face to the back edge of the wheel.

The real problem in fitting larger wheels is finding some that fit. You either go with a set of custom split rims (a little costly!) or get a hub adapter like the one from Modern Motorsports which converts the hub to 4x100mmPCD (Honda fitment) and around 40mm offset.

Cheers,
Rob

I went to compomotive in Wolverhampton to look at split rims - I have been told by lots of people in the Z world that 17s are fine (Check the after picture on your jiggery pokey - they are 17" compomotive TS wheels)

I am planning 17 x 9 on mine with Tokico coil overs and wilwood brakes. Apparently according to compomotive the wilwood brakes help with wider wheels because the calipers are smaller than the standard ones (If this is incorrect please do not shoot the messenger)

well I've got mine on 17x7.5 at the front and 17x8 at the back, but is very close to the spring on the back.. using coilovers with narrower springs would help a bit though.

I think they look pretty good, I was expecting them to look a little bit odd being so big, but I think they look great in the flesh. I think the look of the slplit rim helps though

Indeed it's a stunner. Good to have as a bench mark, annoying cos mine's so far of it at the mo ;)

Cheers,
Rob

Originally posted by 240z
using coilovers with narrower springs would help a bit though.

To convert to coilovers - do the legs take the 2 1/4 spring sizes or is a wider spring needed to fit the legs?

Status - what Tokicos do you have for sale for a 240 ? Are they new, nearly new or old ?Need all 4, will be fitting different coilover springs because of the weight of the V8 so just the dampers please.

Will check with the guys doing the car and if they are the right ones will sort it out with you.

All 240Z and 1973 - 1974 260Z 2 seater will use the same inserts. The 260Z legs are not identical to the 240Z, but could be used on a 240. Differences are in spring pan height and angle of brake pipe bracket. Also, 260Z discs are shorter, so I am assuming brake caliper mounting depth is different.

1973 - 1978 260Z 2+2 and late 1974 - 1978 260Z 2 seater use a different strut and spring configuration and the inserts are not inerchangeable with the earlier cars. Rear is longer and fronts and rears are bigger diameter. It is possible to fit the later complete struts to earlier cars, but the ride height and handling will be compromised. The later 260Zs have revised rear strut towers and use different height top insulators.

From August 1976, rear brake back plates and the brake cylinder / shoe / handbrake configuration changes also.

Status

Out of interest are those complete legs with welded threaded tubes with alloy spring platforms etc or are these just inserts?

Btw what are tokicos? Inserts or brakes?

Sorry, bit new still to all this Jap stuff :eek:

Tokicos in this case are inserts, and pretty good ones too. They do make brakes as well amongst other things!

Cheers,
Rob

Back