What to look for?

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
I'm looking at a couple of motors in the next few weeks...

Some of which have been out of action for a year or more... Obviously the breaks will need a complete overhall, prob tyres and so on...

What else should be checked on a car that hasn't been used for a while?

1. rust

2. rust

3. rust

appart from that if it drives ok and the price is right...buy it. 2nd hand engines/boxes/diffs still about and still fairly cheap for good stuff. the money dissapears fast on body repairs and some pannels getting hard to find or just not available....

happy hunting.....paul.

Thanks Grolls, I'm well aware of the HUUUUUUUUUUGE rust problems Zs have! :) If it doesn't start should I walk away, or what?

a non runner shouldn't pose any realy huge bills, even if an engine was pooped you can pick them up . just remember to aff labour costs into your head when your looking. ask if there are any members near you that could go with you!!!!:D

As far as I'm aware, the closest is in Leeds/North Yorkshire area... (thats you innit?) I'm Newcastle area, sadly no Z heads round here :)

I'll take my Dad, he's the one with many years experience stripping cars... I rebuilt my first engine with him Morris Minor 1000 :D

Markp.com said:
I'm looking at a couple of motors in the next few weeks...

Some of which have been out of action for a year or more... Obviously the breaks will need a complete overhall, prob tyres and so on...

What else should be checked on a car that hasn't been used for a while?
What should be checked first is the articles section on the home page and look for buyers guide :rolleyes:

STEVE BURNS said:
What should be checked first is the articles section on the home page and look for buyers guide :rolleyes:
Yup, looked a while ago... don't recall it mentioning anything to do with cars that have been sitting for a while... I'll have a re-read though...

Back