What have I got ?

spyro

Well-Known Forum User
Ok, so time to actually work out whats in my 280...

How do I identify all the bits? what numbers can I look up to find out whats in it? what numbers would (ha ha) a dealer be able to use to pull up the cars spec on their computer (if its even on one...)

Is there a reference anywhere of all the genuine ZX parts out there?

I can still reference your VIN to production date. I have access to most parts for 280ZX (both OEM and pattern), but some items have become unavailable, e.g. exhaust rear boxes, early bonnet, most bumper parts, most major interior trim (although I have large miscellaneous uncatalogued stock of interior trim), coupe RH rear quarter and probably many of the major body panels that customers never ask about...

On the upside, front wings, late bonnet, 2+2 sills, cover sills, wheel arch repair kits, rear panel and rear valence, all mechanical, suspension and brake parts still readily available. Lots of oddball parts in my uncatalogued store! Come and browse some time...

Great!

Where do I find the VIN? theres a stamped ally plate on the passenger side inside the bonnet. it probabyl used to have writing on , but the only recognisable thing is a number - 163722

Ordered my MiG today... looking forward to some weldin' ;-)

Dont care about the exhaust as Im gonna go side exit... but I could really use a drivers side rear quarter, and yep, you guessed it - I have the coupe, not the 2+2... :)

I think my sills are good - but just in case, can a 2+2 sill be cut down easily? is it just 'too long' ?

Whats a 'rear panel' ? if its what I think it is, I may want one. also, rear panel and valence. I'm not 'up' on the terms, I just point and say 'that bit' ;-)

so... where is your aladdins cave^W^W I mean, store ? browsing could be fun (And dangerous to my wallet)...

Whats the difference between late and early bonnets? mine has two not quite wedge shaped vents in it, both missing the plastic inserts, both with vile bent ally things filling the holes...

Oh and if the guy hanging onto a fuel tank for me is still about here... I'm REALLY sorry its taking me so long to come over... soon, I promise!

In addition to Mr Fs LARGE stock of 280ZX parts I also still have a quantity of good used parts . Wings, front panels and useable bonnets with vents. Im located near Nottingham.
Limited stocks of Misc parts also.

163722 would equate to a build date of 03/1980 at the Nissha plant assuming HGS130 model (2+2).

what would that equate to if its not a 2+2?

Oh, and how do I tell the diff. between the R180 and R200 diff?

zedhead260 said:
I've got a very good tailgate for sale - it's in the classified section

Thanks, although my tailgate is one of the few bits that is probably easily rescuable by me... Im going to learn to weld panels on it, so if I f*ck it up I might come after yours ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the coupe, not the 2+2...

Originally Posted by zedhead260
I've got a very good tailgate for sale - it's in the classified section

Dont let your eagerness to sell stuff overcome the basic need to check that you have the correct item for the customer.:rolleyes:
2 seater and 2+2 tailgates are NOT the same.;)

I know someone who may have a coupe rear quarter.:bow:
Send me a PM for contact details

what would that equate to if its not a 2+2?

Sorry - should really read your posts properly! 163722 on HS130 model is 07/1979...

Virtually all body and interior parts from bulkhead back will be different to a 2+2 of equivalent age until you get to the rear panel and rear lights! Mechanically the same apart from propshaft length.

pmac: consider yourself emailed...

Mr F:

So 'how old' is my 280 then? whats the number of '#1' and whats the earliest in the UK ?

Got my MiG this morning ;-) (still in the box though, been too busy to open it :( )

Figures about everything being different... the cars are a different shape back there :)

The suspension on mine is about gone... whats 'the last word' in suspension for a 280? It doesnt have to be _mega_ comfy but I would like to be able to go out touring in it as well as burn up the local honda owners...

I'd like to lower it a bit too, havent decided how much though, and given how crap the cheshire roads are, it'd be nice to be able to raise the suspension on demand too.

UK/Euro coupe VINs seem to start at 100000 in 06/78. Total sales in the UK (according to Ray Hutton - no doubt someone will throw doubt on his validity) was 3904 across all models of UK 280ZX between 1978 and 1983. Only a handful survived...maybe 10% and falling?

Last edited by a moderator:
pmac said:
Dont let your eagerness to sell stuff overcome the basic need to check that you have the correct item for the customer.:rolleyes:
2 seater and 2+2 tailgates are NOT the same.;)

Oh bugger. I thought all the 2 seaters had died long ago.

Can't help you then - as Pete says, they are not the same.

So concensus would be that I have a rare beast then - possibly as rare as about one in 350 in the UK ?

My guess is less than 100 coupes on the road - they were only produced 1978 - 1981 for the U.K. market and dropped in favour of universal 2+2 offering for the facelift.

Blimey!

Well I got a practise in with the mig today... quite pleased with it, actually. managed to run a nice bead on about try 4, and did a couple of beautiful fillet welds. even managed to weld some thin rusty junk to much thicker stuff.

I have pictures but my ****ing phone has eaten them. I'll post them later and you can all tell me what Im doing wrong :)

not brave enough to try this on the car yet though :)

TTFN!

Back