Welding Stainless Steel to Mild Steel

Wes

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Guys,

A friend of mine kindly made up some chassis leg extensions (think that's what they're called, the bit from the bulkhead to under the seats)

However he made them out of stainless. I've got stainless wire for my mig welder but does anyone know if they will weld to the floorpan OK?

I'd quite like to use them as long term they should hold up well.

Cheers,

Wes

Not sure, He usually builds Kitchens, I'll check the wire and I've been using CO2 but can get something else.

Wes

No idea when i'll be next to someone's computer again so IMO no co2 when welding with stainless(very brittle welds).Has worked for me in the past try argon with(less than 5%) 2.5co2 and 309L wire and 316L as least preferred when welding to 300 grades or 409 grade.If a different grade from these you should be able to search for a welding chart online.IF you aren't an experienced welder you may still get brittle/weak joints and personally if this is the case stick to ms to ms for the safety aspect.Some may say it's a piece of cake welding stainless to steel but if you haven't got a well proven combo/method you takes your chances, on another footing you'd be surprised how often i've seen some of the best looking welds when analysed are absolute s**t.I'm sure somebody else will have their own take on it.As per the scots alchemist IMO IMO IMO. ps can't exactly upload a millers book sooo! MIG Welding Stainless Steel and MIG Welding Gases, MIG Welding Tri Gas Mix, TIG should really of added cracking not as prevalent on thinner gauges.

Attachments

• page23l (Large).jpeg
    page23l (Large).jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:
You may find that the mild steel (your car) corrodes more quickly than normal around the welded area when you weld the ss to it. I think there is a reaction between the two somehow.

IMO better off not welding ss to ms. It can be done but as bigblock has stated, if you are not experienced at welding ss, you will get a weak joint even if it looks good on the outside.

Back