water boiling in block?

abas

Well-Known Forum User
If I had a bad air lock in the water system in my car would it cause the water to boil in the block, and would you be able to hear it? I have got this weird noise coming from the 260z engine in my 240z. The engine seems to get extremely hot very quickly when I start it from cold and so I think I may have an air lock somewhere, or perhaps the water jacket is clogged up

Does any one know whether L6 engines are prone to clogging up their waterways, and whether they respond well to flushing with chemical cleaners?

thanks for any help/similar experiences

Hi Abas.
Sediment build up was evident,on my block & I had to thouroughly flush out the engine until
all the sandy stuff was removed. fortunately I did a lot of clearing up passageways/channels whilst the
head was off,& since then the temperatures remained stable. Far as I can remember , I flushed from
the engine waterway inlet, out at thermostat housing, Radiator flush. . .& check coreplugs
DJZ60

I presume you've checked that the thermostat is working.

This was my immediate thought. Also check for a clear radiator, perhaps you could flush radiator and block using a hosepipe. Also open the heater valve and get water running all around the system.

I've never had an airlock on my 240, I don't think they are susceptible to this.

I'm not sure how effective flushing agents are, never used them.

Unlikely to get an airlock in the old type "open" cooling system. Only other possibility is a blown head gasket. Have you got oil showing in the radiator and is the radiator bubbling over with the cap off?

If I had a bad air lock in the water system in my car would it cause the water to boil in the block, and would you be able to hear it? I have got this weird noise coming from the 260z engine in my 240z. The engine seems to get extremely hot very quickly when I start it from cold and so I think I may have an air lock somewhere, or perhaps the water jacket is clogged up

Does any one know whether L6 engines are prone to clogging up their waterways, and whether they respond well to flushing with chemical cleaners?

thanks for any help/similar experiences

I had an overheating problem in my 280zx S130. I would check the radiator as mine silted up and caused a similar problem, but the overheating was more gradual. My water pump impellers were also shot and I changed the thermostat. It's an easy job and does not cost a lot. Might be worth a go as a first step. I think sometime it is a combination of factors. And yes it would be worth running some rad flush through.

thanks for the advice guys. The thermostat is new and appears to be working OK, water pump is I believe the original 35 year old one!!! Radiator is newish but tested OK anyway.

I'll keep on looking and hopefully it will be sorted in time for summer.

Enjoy Japfest tomorrow: I will be there in spirit

Andrew

:S30: i would poss say water pump not working have you got flow across the rad with the cap off????

martin

Back