Wanted

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Articles for the magazine

OK Guys and Gals, its show time, have any of you an interesting Z tale to tell???
Is your car in need of being featured, have you any news, views or general chit chat worthy of being included in our magazine

If writing isnt your thang then contact me and I will get one of our intrepid reporters to work with you.

PM, Email, Phone, carrier pidgeon, smoke signals, all methods of communications accepted.

SKiddell said:
Articles for the magazine

If writing isnt your thang then contact me and I will get one of our intrepid reporters to work with you.

QUOTE]
thang I hope that was tongue in cheek:rolleyes:

Hey ed, lose that "d" in pigeon mate.

PS, are you featuring this one next time?

Attachments

• Baby blue 004.jpg
    Baby blue 004.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 112
Dean - drop skidy a pm I'm sure he will be interested.

Anyone else out there?
Anyone with a review of a show/product/dvd?
There must be a few restoration projects out there - even unfinished one - lets us know what you are up to.
Cheers

Would the editor kindly confirm the following points for me. Does the club have any difficulty in finding articles to fill the pages of the magazine, I ask this question because you are asking for contributions presumably for the Winter edtition, or maybe the Spring edition, and yet in the last mag (Autumn 05) you say that Magazine real estate is precious, and articles submitted may not always go to print in the next edition, presumably because you have more articles than space. This does not add up.

The reason for querying this, is as you know, two months before the last mag went out, I sent you an article on my car and its restoration, which included the good points, and the not so good, it also included several photographs.
Some people may be aware that, i had, and still have some unresloved problems with the restoration of my car, and that i have taken these up with the company concerned. None the less, I took the trouble to attempt to contribute to the magazine, with a lengthly and informative article. It wasnt published.

Would you kindly reply, not by means of a private mesage, if thats okay, but here on the forum, why it wasnt published, allowing me the right to reply.
As if you are in need of articles, this is somewhat confusing. If you found that it was not right to publish my article, because of the later critiscm of the restoration job, then apart from this being the wrong policy in my view, (no critiscms were mentioned in the article, in any case), there is still a case to remind you that I have not even had a simple, pm, email, or call to say thanks, or thanks but no thanks.

Don. :confused:

Ive just read this back to myself again, and it sounds like im whining, when im not, I wont edit it, because the "told you so brigade" will pull me up on it.

Its not a whinge, I would hate to edit a flyer let alone a mag of this quality, just puzzled, and felt an enquiry might help me here.
Also folks, NO COMMENTS PLEASE on the restoration topic, thanks.

Don.

ta very mooch

Don
You and I have discussed this issue via PM. You asked for your article not to be published as you wished to make corrections to it. These were never received in time for the last magazine which you acknowledged in your PM.
Please contact myself or Steve with your revised version and we will endeavour to get it into the next magazine.
As you say running a magazine is not an easy job. Many many hours are put in behind the scenes by the Editor and his team, this request for articles is a general announcement, we have had an influx of new members and want to make them (and the older ones whose memory may be a bit dodgy!!) aware that we are always on the look out for new material.

I thought I said delete any praise that I might have included for the restoration company, cos i didnt feel it was appropriate.
I dont remember hearing that i was too late for the mag, crikey we recieved the mag about 10 weeks later, how much time is needed?
(I understand the complexity of producing the mag, I have congratulated the Ed, many times on this count)
Also i was told, by a committee member, cant remember who by, that it wasnt published because of the critiscms I made, which sounds silly. What I am saying is that if you go to the trouble of producing something for the mag, it would be helpful if it were acknowledged in some way, after all we do it, hoping it will be published.

Ps. Dont worry about our Status, he's only pulling my leg, are'nt you Noddy.
And yes shes still a bubbling.

Don.

In resonse to Dons questions

Let me try and answer your questions

Firstly your question Does the club have any difficulty in finding articles to fill the pages of the magazine” tricky one really but look at it this way, I have enough material to fill 10 average standard magazines, enough to fill 5 reasonable standard magazines but barely enough to fill one excellent one, the editorial staff are always striving for perfection (its our job) we are along way off but working hard on it.

The statement “real estate is precious” was in reference to the dilemma that I often face about article value, each page of the magazine has a cost associated with it and it is my duty to the readership to ensure that I have filled it with the best quality articles available, I often have to chose and filter articles based on quality and impact, a well written, factually correct article will always win against something that needs considerable calories to be burnt before it even reads right.

The statement “Articles submitted may not always go to print in the next edition” refers to the fact that often people will go to considerable trouble to write articles and collect photographs only to find that it isn’t in the next edition, the reason for this is often “balance”, for instance it would not be desirable to fill the magazine up with V8 conversions or Z32 articles so balance between all marques must be struck. Other reasons why I would delay printing may be that the article is not factually correct and that the author needs to re write it or send amendments, which can take a while.

This leads me on to why your article wasn’t printed, shortly after you submitted your article (lavishing praise left right and centre) you abruptly did a U turn (on the Forum) and proceeded to express a completely different set of feelings, bearing this in mind it would have been unprofessional of me to have printed the article so I was about to put it on hold (I even discussed it with several committee members), shortly after that, you PM’d me (I have a copy should you wish me to send it to you) asking me to put a hold on it as you were no longer happy with the wording, something about taking out certain parts that no longer reflected the way that you felt, I naturally obliged you mentioned that you were going to re-supply certain elements (you also said this to another committee member so I know I am right), to date I have received nothing, so I am still abiding by your original instruction,

You state “(no critiscms were mentioned in the article, in any case)” correct – they were plastered all over the internet instead which contradicted your article, which would have undermined the research integrity of the magazine if I had printed it, hence the reason why it is still on hold

SKiddell said:
In resonse to Dons questions

You state “(no critiscms were mentioned in the article, in any case)” correct – they were plastered all over the internet instead which contradicted your article, which would have undermined the research integrity of the magazine if I had printed it, hence the reason why it is still on hold
Thank you Sir for correcting me, I thought that I had said to you to delete any praises I might have sung, on their behalf, and not told you to hold the article, until such time I re-wrote it. My mistake, I accept that. ( i didnt keep my message, and i trust that you are correct, not a problem)

But lets get the facts straight here, I have not plastered critiscm all over the internet as you so incorrectly put it, I critiscised on this forum only, which I have every right to do. It is this committee who are so god damn frightened of the mere mention (not that I did) of any traders names that are making the problem 100 times bigger than it is/was.
My later critiscm of this company did NOT entirely contradict my article, My article, if youd care to read it, was in the main, my storey of desiring a 240z. Yes it included some praise, which at the time of writng I felt was justified, subsequently I felt that this praise was unjustified, as I had been treated unfairly by the trader.
It is quite sad that this committee, including yourself Sir, judging by your response, feels that it is on such a high pedestal, that it cannot be guided by its members or be willing to listen. Especially on issues that are important, and issues that should be allowed to be discussed openly, and calmly on here.
So, please dont get on your high horse with your members, or any other committee people come to that by deleting this response or parts of it, listen to others for a change, and learn from it. Any club is about its members, without them it does not exist. Some of us are meek, shy and obliging, others more forthright, and that is their right, take this away and the club will lose its direction entirely.

BrokenRecord.jpg

Zbirdy said:
I critiscised on this forum only, which I have every right to do.
Wrong, you do not have the right to do - even if you feel you do. This web-site is not funded by the membership as a platform for you to resolve any differences you may have with any trader.

Don

You state But lets get the facts straight here, I have not plastered critiscm all over the internet as you so incorrectly put it, I critiscised on this forum only, which I have every right to do.”

“this forum only” has a potential audience of the entire world, if you would like some statistics I am sure that Russ can oblige.

My later critiscm of this company did NOT entirely contradict my article, My article, if youd care to read it, was in the main, my storey of desiring a 240z. Yes it included some praise,”

Make your mind up Don either it did or it didn’t include praise, if it did it conflicts with your diatribe on this forum.

“subsequently I felt that this praise was unjustified, as I had been treated unfairly by the trader.”

In your opinion

“It is quite sad that this committee, including yourself Sir, judging by your response, feels that it is on such a high pedestal, that it cannot be guided by its members”

I notice the use of the plural “members” you mean you, and as far as I know you are in a minority of one.

“issues that should be allowed to be discussed openly, and calmly on here”

I would hardly class some of your posts as “calm”

“Some of us are meek, shy and obliging, others more forthright”

Don’t confuse “forthright” with “right”

Back