VPK 426M - Silver then Red 260Z

3.0CSL

Forum User
Hi all, as above, I owned this really rot free but scruffy ( as most were by the 1980s ) April 74 2 seater, from about Jan 86 to about October 86.
I bought it from a pal called Nigel, from Buckhurst Hill. Pestered him for ages to sell it to me.
The shocks were knackered, so I fitted 4 new Monroe inserts, cut the OE springs down and it came on what I think were Cosmic alloys, which looked fab, but weren't wide enough, so I bought some 7x14 Wolfies from a tyre shop in Tottenham and fitted some new Firestone S660s. Think I also fitted a GDS ? Exhaust via Kevin @ Samuri ? Loved that car, remember seeing an indicated 123 late one night on the A127. But it really struggled against a D reg RS Turbo one day in East London. I can still remember none of the dash lights worked, so night driving was interesting to say the least. An auto electrician said the dash needed to come out to fix it.
I used to go to Z club meets @ the Half Way house on the A127 and also used to go round to Mikes house in Basildon for parts. He was such a lovely guy to buy from!
Sold it ( Very reluctantly ) via Exchange and Mart I think, to fund a TR6 purchase, to a really nice guy called F. Aitken, who lived in Horsham, Sussex. He told me that he was going to re paint it red ( which horrified me, but hey ho ) some time later, he kindly sent me two photos of it in red.
Then in circa September 95, I was travelling down the Eastern Avenue by Clayhall Ave, towards Romford, in my silver R5 GT Turbo, when VPK went the other way!! It then turned up into Clayhall Avenue. By the time I had managed to spin round and give chase, my old Z had gone. It's not listed as being taxed since circa Oct 95, but wondering if it's had a plate change ?
Anyone remember it ?

Last edited:

3.0CSL

Forum User
Yes Sean, I got circa £800 for the 260 and I paid about the same for the 72 TR6 from a pal. Zs were £ cheap then. Sold the TR in summer 88 for £3,500, so it was a very good deal @ the time. But by the time the TR had sold, the lovely Fjord CSL in Chelsea, for £4,500, had been sold, choked !

uk66fastback

Club Member
I can remember when the CSLs was a relative classic bargain. Plenty of rusty versions ripe for a bit of TLC around in the early 90s. Shame I never had the foresight to buy one!

Mr.F

Inactive
Selling a Z for a TR6......

In 1976 I went the other way round - what a revelation; never looked back...

3.0CSL

Forum User
Motor Sport tested an identical looking silver, press demo 260Z ( PPX 38 M ) for the April 1974 edition.
Anyone know what happened to it ?