Voltage Regulator issues

H3nrY

Well-Known Forum User
Hi

I have been experiencing issues with my voltage regulator (i think)

When I was driving down the road, I noticed my V-meter was getting pretty high (in the 16-range)

me and a buddy tested some things. The battery produced 12.7v , so the battery seems fine. When we turned on the engine, the battery was slowly being charged. We turned on the lights and blower to full, and it gave us some extra voltage,

When revving the engine to around 2500, we got around 14.6v, which is still reasonable. However, when revving over that, it went over 16v. We turned to the Haynes and turned the voltage regulator screw anti-clockwise to reduce the voltage, but we saw no difference in the voltage delivered when revving high.

Is my regulator broken? Or do I need to so some extra steps ? Can it be easily replaced by lets say another electrical regulator ?

Hendrik

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I think that is specifically the regulators job, so it could well be duff. Either i'm having a flashback, or there was another thread a few days ago about regulators and the replacement options.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Get a solid state regulator and be done with it or swap to an internally regulated alternator (dont forget to do the old plug in diode bit otherwise you cant turn the car off)

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
All very technical for my simple brain box.

Basically I borrowed a Reg from Fourways and replaced it to no avail.

I traced it to a dodgy connection off the positive take on the Alternator however I know had a voltage at the battery of up to 17 Volts. Swapped the reg with the borrowed one and now we're Kool and the Gang.

I now need a new reg that has the Carlos Fandango insides.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
All very technical for my simple brain box.

Basically I borrowed a Reg from Fourways and replaced it to no avail.

I traced it to a dodgy connection off the positive take on the Alternator however I know had a voltage at the battery of up to 17 Volts. Swapped the reg with the borrowed one and now we're Kool and the Gang.

I now need a new reg that has the Carlos Fandango insides.

as said elsewhere Mr F can supply new solid state ones.
You can buy new on Ebay.....NISSAN DATSUN 240Z PICKUP VOLTAGE REGULATOR BOSCH VR121 | eBay

Datsun 240z Voltage Regulator - NEW | eBay
I have a used one with 3 month warranty on it.
appears to be made by New Era not Carlos Fandango tho:eek:

Attachments

• maroon 240Z 059 (Large).jpg
    maroon 240Z 059 (Large).jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 17
  • maroon 240Z 060 (Large).jpg
    maroon 240Z 060 (Large).jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 13
  • maroon 240Z 061 (Large).jpg
    maroon 240Z 061 (Large).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 18

H3nrY

Well-Known Forum User
Yep

Ill be installing a solid state one. Will be for the better i guess :)

thanks for the help!

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
I got me one of those New Era regulators but instead of TVR it has AVR as the prefix, anyone know what the differance might be?

Mike B

H3nrY

Well-Known Forum User
Well, I got a deal at a local shop for a new unused Nissan mechanical regulator and went for it, they use it for forklifts but the plug is the same.

I also removed the alternator and starter motor, and cleaned all leads and wires going from and to the battery and all clips and hooks.

It now regulates again like it used to do. staying at around 14.1 at idle, and around 14.4-14.6 when revving high. so me = happy :D