update on the Kaminari

Devilpaint

Well-Known Forum User
dont know if you want to read this, but i'm typing it anyway:p

1st off i need to tell you that i have quite severe back injuries & need to "proceed with caution" regarding any lifting/manual work.

once the rolling shell was back in my workshop-i left it for a couple of days.800 mile round trip was not kind to my back & common sense prevailed.
the plan was to take the low milage motor from my 82 2+2n/a & chuck it in the Kaminari.
i started today (photos to follow, i need to sort my PC 1st)-took the motor out of the 2+2 & tried to fit it in the Kaminari, the 2 seater has the later rack & pinion steering & try as i might i cant get the sump to clear it when fitting the lump.
i have been assured that i'm doing it wrong(by my M8 the mech next door) & i dont need to take the sump off ( by ken from ZXS) but i'm buggered if i can see what i,m doing wrong(i'm a body man, not a mechanic).
its blowing a bloody gale up here & snowing & i had to have the workshop doors open-during a tea break i told Phil , the guy next door"if i ever take on another project, just bloody shoot me".
refreshed i decided to have another go at installing the motor.as i lifted it off the deck the bloody rear fixing bracket snapped off! luckily it snapped as the motor was only inches off the deck.unlucky in that its the manifold bolt thats sheared, so off with the manifold tomorrow to see if i can hopefully remove the offending stud.
at this point i'd had enough, the back was screaming at me & i know i'll suffer for it tomorrow. so some gentle dismantling of the manifold & poss some painting of the block etc is in order & although i have a pit in the workshop i'm going to persuade Phil to put it on his ramp so i can have a good look underneath & see what needs doing-i'm really looking forward to sorting the bodywork . from a quick glance it needs a couple of small patches underneath, chassis looks good, but i'm not that daft. the upper body needs work where the Kaminari kit joins the orig panels, the worst being the offside rear quater where water has rotted through just above the rear spoiler. both doors need a bit of work the nearside being the worst & i'm putting on my early bonnet with the identical vents, cos i like it & its brand new , old stock.
the time scale is the end of march to have it fully sorted, turbo'd & ready for the road-but dont quote me!

Sounds like you are getting well stuck in, great fun, excluding the bad back that is!

Look forward to seeing the pics.

NO PAIN NO GAIN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it will be worth it in the end.........................

right, part two?
the offending zorst bolt snapped off flush-bugger.
so, whilst removing the rest of the manifold bolts i discovered the same thing at the opposite end (right next to the dizzy).
on closer inspection both these studs have sheared & were apparently lying in the reccess of the manifolds-cant get the intake manifold off to remove the zorst cos 1 of the 14mm bolts (in the most awkward position , naturally) has been rounded slightly before & its the only one i cant get a decent wall drive socket onto, my trusty 14mm ring spanner just keeps slipping off.ho-hum.
so the plan now is to leave the mechanical bits till next week as i'm collecting the janspeed turbo stuff next tues.
oh & i also have to actually do work for my customers as well-bummer, so i get to do a bit of bodywork on the kaminari in between.

Nice to see another Z in the North East. If you get stuck, the Z Farm isn't a million miles away in Thirsk. He'll be able to sort things for you. :rolleyes:

Good Luck with the project. :devil:

:280Z:
Terry

the Z Farm isn't a million miles away in Thirsk. He'll be able to sort things for you. :rolleyes:

well if he returned my calls he might get some business!

if he returned my calls he might get some business!
Just back from rally support duties in (I think) South Africa, so not been available to return calls for a few weeks....

Part 3,

fitting in a few hours during jobs at the workshop, i've now drilled out the offending studs & re-tapped them, sourced new bolts & a gasket.
also started work on the body, dug out/ground back all the cracks in the glassfibre & had the car on the 2 poster next door for a good looksee underneath.
the good news is its not too bad underneath, its obviously had a decent oil leak at some point cos the trans tunnel & diff are covered in oil, the rest is reasnably sound with a bit of tidying to do on the n/s sill. to be expected in a car of this age, some patches have been welded at one time, some of these aren't pretty or finished properly. the leda? rear shocks are knackered, bushes shagged/missing . i have konis to go on before the mot.
all the brake lines look ok, the floor pans are sound.
the bad news? well not much, but the bottom inch or so of the rear quarters are gone, nothing a patch & some fibreglass wont cure tho & the front spoiler has had a few meetings with speed humps or kerbs.
while it was on the ramp we discussed the rear spoiler. i THOUGHT i was happy with it , but have been convinced it needs a more up to date look about it, so some glass mods might just happen (or not as the case may be.)
i'm probably going to go for a SBC soon, but want to drive it with the janspeed turbo 1st-in all honesty i dont think i want to go to all the trouble of a v8-had one in a Scim a while back & it was ok but not "factory fit" if you know what i mean.
well enough of my ramblings, perhaps next month i might have the motor back in!.

every little helps,just keep doing bits when you can and in no time you will be up and runing.

One step forward, 2 back.:(
got the parts i ordered from MJP, then broke the N/S perspex h/lamp cover:eek:
(to be fair it had a split already) the allen screw was siezed & i managed to remove the fixing bracket from the headlamp shell, but whilst trying to unsieze it the bloody perspex shattered.

so, a new pair of tinted ones are ordered & coming up with the skirts later.
time permitting, the P90 head goes on this week & i hope to get the engine back in soon.
(dont hold your breath tho......)

Back