Track Day Anyone?!!!!!!!!

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all, anyone up for an airfield track day I am looking at booking a place on one later this year August/ september maybe if I can get away with doing 2 I will ( hope she didn't see me write this). after the great British weather making the track very slippery at Japfest. I feel the urge to get back out there also need a place to test my new NOS system as I have all parts to fit it up now...
cost is £99 for full day, when you look at this, as against japfest laps £19 for 15 minutes ,£ 99 for as much action as you like is great value!
for more info see www.motorsport-events.co.uk
Hullavington is very near Castle Coomb/Japfest just to give you an Idea

Nick..:) :) :) :S30: :)

looks good I be up for it. Be nice not to have the car sliding around:) in all those puddles

jay

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Nick
If you can get a date I'll send this around all the guys and girls that booked track time with me at Japfest. We could also post up on 300 and 350 forums.
Sounds a good idea to me, I'll be there

Suzy

Definitely!

I feel the same way about the japfest sessions - feel like I missed out on a track session.. now eager to find one to fill its place.

I'll check the site and see what is the closest date. I have been on a motosport events day before a found them very good, if tiring!

can't wait!:)

some dates:

July
Friday 1st Hullavington £99 100dB(A)
Monday 4th Keevil £89 100dB(A)
Friday 29th Hullavington £99 100dB(A)
August
Monday 22nd Keevil £89 100dB(A)
Friday 26th Hullavington £99 100dB(A)

I would like to know which has the best surface (least abrasive and less likely stone-chipping), has anyone been to both??

If it's September I might be there! Have decided on 904 White (The storm trooper colour!) Will be spraying as soon as Mike sends my Sill return. Car is now working and stopping. Need a decent door for the passangers side but almost there!

Wes

Hi all, Thanks guys I think july is probably out because there is Back to Billing 1st 2nd and 3rd and then the BBQ 10th and JAE at the end of the month. so August or september would be better, I'll getin touch with Pete who always comes to these days and see what he feels too. and will post up some dates for Aug/ Sep..
I have just got an Email form Motorsport events which say they will be on TOP GEAR this Sunday deosn't say much more than that but I will be watching just to see what it's all about..
Nice one Wes easiest colour to spray and should look very clean when done, I have a complete sill for one side not sure which one, Will have to have a look, or is it just the rear corner you need..
Nick..

The sills are fine. It's just the return panel that goes over the sill and could do with the rear lower corner on the nearside too!

Wes

I should be at Donington on Fri 24 June (Book a Track) £195 if anyone wants to join us (me and Lee).

I'm not interested in airfield days, prefer a circuit with its facilities (pits, garages) and more interesting character, layout and undulations. Donington is good with safe run-off areas.

Also airfields are very abrasive and tough on tyres so I'm told.

The GTROC does quite a lot of track days and gets discounted rates from easytrack. Either check out easytrack's website first or visit gtr.co.uk to find out what we have booked. Local to you would be Brands Hatch, Silverstone and Spa Francorchamps (just got back)

John

Thanks for the info, I have been to Hullavington twice good layout 2 long straights and you can just get over 100mph before braking if you're brave,and a nice triple corner you can take flat out, surface good, no stone chips to speak of, haven't found tyre wear to be bad, but does depend on how you drive, sideways tends to scrub tyres but would do on a circuit. I think keevil is more low speed and twisty but never driven it. I would like to drive Donington but, at twice the price we could have 2 days on airfields= more fun and more time driving...

Attachments

• capture.JPG
    capture.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 43
Yes, I agree about the price and time per £ factor, but it is good fun sweeping down through Craner Curves and into the Old Hairpin (faster than it sounds) or the Avenue at Oulton Park and into Cascades!

As for the speed factor most of the circuits are quick enough (I've seen a true 110 at Rockingham on my Road Angel) however I would like to see what max speed my car will do, bit childish but only natural I suppose. I think Bruntingthorpe is the best place for that and it's close to me. A few of our members have been there, what speeds have they achieved, what was the bhp and gearing, anybody know? Phil (240Z) what speed have you had in your rocket-ship?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the same thoughts about Bruntingthorpe 2 mile straight would be great maybe we could have a go there, a couple of my local group members would also be interested in a run there. I also like Goodwood as I seemed to get the hang of the ciruit quickly and dropped about 14 seconds from my first to last run, practice makes perfect,
But the queing time was long and we all just want to drive.
There are plenty of options to suite all tastes I think...

Yes i've done Goodwood twice and it's 'flows' really nicely but it's a hell of a long way for me (Hinckley). I can get to Donington in 25mins.

As you say when our club was at Goodwood the queuing was bad, but that was down to only having 5 cars on the circuit at one time! It was a misunderstanding I think between the cct operator and our club, we were classed as racing cars and sound restrictions limit the number of cars for 'racing' sessions to 5.

The 'open pit lane' format operated at most places is much better.

would definitely like to do donington, if I could get the time and money! Dave Jarman said it was one of the best circuit for learning on - a wide variety of bends and good run offs. I think I should do a track day as opposed to just airfields, as I still have a bit of track 'fear' (castle combe in the wet on semi-slicks didn't help that!!). I also think you can learn better lines with real bends, as opposed to cones, which I always find more difficult to judge. Having said that, the airfields I think do give you more confidence to explore the limits of your car, with no fear of hitting anything, and in that way can be just as fun..

I want to do both! but hullavington is definitely a lot nearer..

As for bruntingthorpe, I didn't think it was that great, there are only straights really, unless someone puts cones out. Only one chicane in the middle. The surface isn't bad, but there seemed to plenty of debris, especially if you didn't stick the most commonly driven areas. The high speed run is good fun the first time, but when you get up to speed, what do you do? and gets a bit dull very quickly.. I managed to get the car up to an indicated 150, but the car went very light at that speed, which was pretty scary, the car could have gone quicker (the car was still accelerating well), but not my bottle! the new airdam I have heard should help with this.. we shall see...

Thanks Phil.

I've just noticed that Autocar have a trackday at Bedford Autodrome on the 30 June when Nissan will take 350 (Coupe and Roadster) plus Micra R for entrants to drive with instructor. Most of the time you will drive your own car!

It seems expensive at £175 for 3 hrs track time (but BBQ included).

see: autocar.co.uk/trackdays

240z said:
As for bruntingthorpe, I didn't think it was that great, there are only straights really, unless someone puts cones out. Only one chicane in the middle.
The times I have been there it was ace. It was set out for rwd entertainment tho lol, so it did have a few tight high speed chicanes aswel as a few lower speed ones! Either top or lower track is good but pref the top.
Ace fun if you like to practice the art of the drift lol :D

Deffo be up for brunters if it comes around :cool:

Back