Top speed SHoot out!!!

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
Just an Idea, as we have a hall of fame for the Drag racing how about a top speed shoot out Hall of fame for the Z range in 240z-280zx then Z31 300, Z31 Turbo, Z 32 Na, Z32TT and 350z.
I suppose we would need to go to Bruntingthorpe to do this but don't know if there is anywhere else that deos top speed testing.
What do you think maybe get some mags to cover the day, J tuner etc

:S30: :280Z: :Z31: :Z32: :350Z:

Last edited by a moderator:

evtech

Well-Known Forum User
How about MIRA?

The only prob is they don't allow 'spectators' but you could have a large service crew;)

Nige

Jimijitsu

Well-Known Forum User
this sounds like fun you need a standard and modified category as well dont suppose ill do very well at this I have a tt gearbox on a N/A I have no idea how fast I can go because my speedo stops working at 100:( oh kmh of course;)

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Zed2k said:
how about a top speed shoot out Hall of fame for the Z range

Good idea, I had it in my head to organise one of these days but only once my car was on the road.

It'd be good if you fancy getting the ball rolling.

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
Cant see the point in this. Presumably it's going to be over a measured distance, say 1 mile, and the one thats going to be fastest is the one with the highest diff ratio and a high revving engine. But heh, have fun:rolleyes:

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
the one thats going to be fastest is the one with the highest diff ratio and a high revving engine

Only part of the whole picture -- you have to have the HP in the first place otherwise all of the gearing in the world wont make a bit of differance

chunk

Im not normal
Club Member
Ohhhhh count me in, just gotta finish building the car yet lol

So far ive recorded 172.9mph at bruntingthorpe and that was on my stock(ish) Slicktop TT!!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
And don't forget the slalom - if we have all that space - shame to waste it and Zs are supposed to go around corners too - not just straight line stuff :) !

Wyn

Club Member
Zed2k said:
I suppose we would need to go to Bruntingthorpe to do this

Should be able to find a few spare tyres by then ... but do we get to play there aswell afterwards? :cool:

Count me in if so :)

Russ

Club Member
If it's not 5 hours from me I'll bring my Omega if I'm allowed to see how much it eventually runs out of puff at.

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Would be a challenge to make an S30 have a seriously high but stable top speed......

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
SeanDezart said:
Please define 'seriously high' :) ?[/quote]

No specific target if you are fishing but Chunk has seen 172MPH in his TT - I have a feeling that 172MPH in an S30 might take just a teensy bit of work. It is a doddle to make enough power to actually go that fast, the V8 with the right gearing will theoretically do 186 but we all know that is pie in the sky because the car has the aerodynamics of a cucumber sandwich.

I have seen a genuine 140MPH in my old 260 when I was in my 20s but it was dangerous, wallowing, not at all contollable. To do the job right and have an S30 do 150 / 160 / 170 / 180 and still be very stable and safe will take a lot of thinking about. I am convinced it can be done but it will take a lot more than power alone.

Russ

Club Member
Reset the windscreen without such a steep angle might be a good idea, plus all the under body aerodynamics no doubt.

260 2+2 would be a better start as well probably.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Russ said:
260 2+2 would be a better start as well probably.

Well, that will keep some of 'em happy :) ! An undertray ? Been looking at it too !

No ZHead, I wasn't fishing, I would consider anything over 140 as seriously fast and high gearing would do it - true, but wouldn't help for a 0-100-0 run or a slalom run - would it ? And as you and I are having built (and others are doing it themselves) S30s with modern all-round performance, cars with 'just' a high top speed won't do !

I too saw 140 mph in my old greenie, up to an AGM one year ('91 ?) but I had a Samuri front spoiler and the std rear one and the car didn't budge ! To go faster and remain stable is an interesting exercise and I'm already on it ! But with just a straight six, I'm at a disadvantage as the brick aerodynamics need ponies - right ?