Top Gear last night!

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
They drove the new RX8 round the track on tv last night and it recorded the same time as BMWs M3.
There was a blue 350Z press car in the studio and the 350Z reportedly achieved the same lap time as the RX8 and M3, although no film footage was shown.
RX8 owners are very happy at the result, although you would expect the greater hp and torque of the Z to tell on the track?
JEZ

Mr.F

Inactive
1. Mazda / Ford link
2. Clarkson / Ford link
3. Clarkson has ordered GT40 - anxious to please.......
4. Clarkson can't admit he is wrong about the 350Z - still regurgitating his one day "test" from January in JDM car.
5. No footage of 350Z on track (wig test time much more important) - perhaps this would have showed the essential difference in handling between RX-8 and the Z. The Mazda looked like an uncomfortable handful. The Z, IMO, would probably look a lot less skittish. Other independent tests put the Z ahead of the Mazda on track.
6. The Top Gear track does not really come across as a power circuit and suits the Mazda's buzzing power delivery better(?).

The Mazda RX-8 forum is bubbling with excitement, as you might expect, but even they are bemused by the result.........there is some suggestion of a tweaked version being released for test.

Mr.F

Inactive
Track test at Angelsey with RX-8, Porsche Boxter, Z4, Skoda thing.......probably find the Skoda will thrash the lot.

john-boy

Well-Known Forum User
LOL - I couldn't agree more about usual bias from Jezza .. what a berk. However, Mike, did you not say he'd been effectively gagged by Nissan from talking about it; whilst managing to deliver a small put down, all the same.

BTW, just watched fifth gear, and the verdict from Tiff was that the 350 was still pick of the crop. :D

Of course it was ffs ... ;)

CheerZ,
JB.

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Yep!
Watched 5th Gear tonight and the 350Z was driven round the tight Anglesea track against an Audi TT V6 250bhp, with the paddle change g/box.
Although VBH was driving and not Tiff, the 350Z came out on top, with a lap time some 4 secs quicker than the TT....with plenty of drifting on the corners!
The 350Z was a grey left hand drive (German?) car.
JEZ

Mr.F

Inactive
Nice report from Fifth Gear - 4 seconds a lap at Angelsey is a pretty convincing trashing of the Audi TT!Don't you just love VBH when she's squealing with delight inside her helmet.....?

Clarkson is gagged for the MPH 03 Show only as far as I am aware. Tiff will take over Z history presentation for this section. I am still looking for a nice 280ZX again for this show - only stipulation now is NOT a red one, as I have two red cars already!

Russ

Club Member
Thank you very much Tiff!

Oh and I wanna get myself a VBH, she's lovely
smlove2.gif

john-boy

Well-Known Forum User
LOL - I also agree about VBH and her squealing.

Actually, I went for a day's DB7 driving at Millbrook (whatever Jezza says, I think they're lush :D) and she pulled up at the gates in her yellow Honda S2000 - and she was pretty nice in the flesh too :p If a little impetuous with the gatekeeper.

Still, I'm sure we can forgive her a little bit!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I thought you lads would be more interested in the tyre squealing, should have known better!

Shame Tiff didn't drive the 350Z it would have really impressed!

Thought you were very harsh on the RX8 Mike, I think they have got a good sporty 4 seater that looks distinctive (I like it but not as much as a 350Z) and is inexpensive!

I'm sure the 350Z is a more sporty car but the Mazda is a bit special with that engine and those doors. For a young family man it must be tempting!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony 260Z

Club Member
Hmmm... well, as a young family man I'm still not convinced. Sorry. I think it looks like a giant walked past and stepped on the bonnet. Either that or it's the bastard love child of a Z3 coupe and a hammerhead shark.

I dunno, it just looks wrong to me. Distinctive yes, but not quite right.

And yes, the girlie squeals were quite endearing.

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
I quite like the RX8, it's a bit gimmicky with those rear doors, but different to other coupes out there.
Would make a practical every day driver...if the fuel consumption was better, but it's not a direct competitor to the 350Z.
For a proper 350Z competitor you will have to wait for the new RX7.
I wonder what Toyota have up their sleeves, to combat these new cars!?
Cheerz,
JEZ

Russ

Club Member
Originally posted by JEZ 300Z
I quite like the RX8, it's a bit gimmicky with those rear doors, but different to other coupes out there.
Would make a practical every day driver...if the fuel consumption was better, but it's not a direct competitor to the 350Z.
For a proper 350Z competitor you will have to wait for the new RX7.

Errr what do you suppose the RX8 is?? :p

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Originally posted by Russ
Errr what do you suppose the RX8 is?? :p

It's not an RX7!:p
Mazda are supposedly working on a replacement for the old RX7, which will be a purer 2 door, 2 seater car!
JEZ

ger300

Well-Known Forum User
A race movie

from legendary 5,
A race movie between Honda 2000S, Porsche Boxter, BMW M3 and of course the 350Z.

I’m not going to tell you who is going to win. Happy viewing

http://auto.joins.com/upboard/pds/p...ukubaBattle.asf
:D
nice movie race,
i have many many many clips of all z,but on the 350z one stands out,it has to be that sound,(THE RUN),
it's in the czek rep.early in the morning on the streets,i've tryed to find where i got it but cant,neither will the properties give the adress,neither can i do a trace on my download accelerator to get the ad as i delited it,the only thing i did was put it on a disc,if i knew how to load the mpeg up on the site i would,i have tryed loading other z (z drags members against others)on the site but no luck.i found a few sites that have it but at cost,mine cost zero & i got a cover aswell,if i come across it again i will post the ad.maybe someone else has tha ad.
cheers
:D