too many cars, too little money

niagra

Forum User
Hello all

Just registered with the site. I am seriously thinking about buying a 240Z, it was on my shortlist a couple of years ago when I decided to sell my Mini Cooper (not BMW!) and buy an older car. On the shortlist was the 240Z (a bit pricey), a MKII RS2000 (not quick enough) and a Sunbeam Lotus. I ended up getting the Sunbeam and it's been brilliant so far. As the title to the thread suggests, I can only afford one car at a time:( and have for a while been thinking about a Z - the looks are fantastic compared to what a lot of my friends describe as a MKI Fiesta!!.

I know you'll all be biased but please come back with comments persuading me to buy a 240Z and get rid of the SL. I drive the car to work most days and don't have another car so comments about reliability would be good.

cheers
Dario

Mr.G

Club Member
Welcome to the club.

Get a 240Z you won't regret it, just have a look in the sites gallery page (on the top) and I think that will be enough persuasion! Engines are a joy to work on, very reliable and the bottom ends are bullet proof. With a few choice mods you can a few more ponies. I am not too sure if I would recommend having one as a daily driver as there are prone to the rust, having had little or no rust protection from the factory when new.

If you dont want to restore one then I suggest you buy the best you can afford or look at getting a 260Z 2+2, which are considerably cheaper then a 240Z but are just as fun.

HOUSEQUAKE

Well-Known Forum User
Dario,

Since being a kid I always liked the 240z 'coz me old man drove them - hewas the Datsun and Toyota dealer in Hull in the early 70's.

When I left school some girls I knew had a yellow 260z that their Dad had bought them (from me Dad)...it looked absolutely fantastic and I wanted one.

I nearly got one when I was 20 summat but ended up with an XR2 that got nicked three weeks later...:rolleyes:

When i found this site about three/four years ago I realised that people were restoring them AND you can get practically any part you require, my long yearning returned.

I started looking seriously about two years ago for a solid chassis and with the help of moggy (top bloke) we found one.

After driving Saab turbo's and Scoobies for the past ten years, I can assure you that nothing puts a bigger grin on me face than when I drive me 260Z.

It's class!

Zep

Club Member
Well said.

My Dad worked for DC Cook in Yorkshire during the seventies as a Zed mechanic and used to bring one home every now and again. I went in and out of wanting one for year and years. Last time was a couple of years ago.

This year l went on a mission to get one - bought it in Nov. Time will tell, but right now l'm kicking myself for not getting one earlier. Checkout my gallary if you want to see a standard 240z. It's not a daily driver though. I'm thinking of getting a late 260z as a daily car.

Driving the zed is simply the best.

Russ

Club Member
It is an experience, come to one of our evbents and get someone to take you out in one :)

niagra

Forum User
all very persuasive. If I go for it I've only got what I can get for my Sunbeam Lotus (I'd put it on for around 5k). Can you get a decent 240z for this kind of money or is it worth getting a 260z with decent engine mods (as I understand it 260z's are a bit slow?)

status

Well-Known Forum User
Everything said so far is more or less true,the 260z late 2 seater is the one to go for as it is more rare than the 240z,just sold my 240z which was alnost mint and enjoyed every minute but still have my 260z,surprised you would want to sell the sunbeam as they r well worth a look and are better than the mk1 lotus cortinas,i have one of them lurking in my garage at the mo and have thought about the sunbeam,i think you will find the Zed is not quicker but more reliable and easy to work on.5-6k will get you a decent 260Z

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
the best thing is to look at as many datsuns as you can before buying one, then you will have better idea of whats good and whats not for your money.to be honest i do not think you get much that is really any good over the long term ownership for under £5000 but you never know as there are bargins out there sometimes.

if you do decide to import why go to all the hassle of converting it to rhd and finding donor car,just leave it lhd and enjoy it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i did:)

HOUSEQUAKE

Well-Known Forum User
niagra said:
as I understand it 260z's are a bit slow?
:eek: Outside, now!!!

Only jokin.........................................or am I?

In all seriousnessnessness, I've got an STI Type R that does 0-60 in 4.1sec, I was expecting to drive a Z and feel like I was driving a bus (0-60 summat like 7.5) but in all honesty, I don't feel I'm in a slow car and I have a much better sense of satisfaction driving the Z.

Cars like the Scoobies and eVO's kind of take away the feel of the drive, I can only describe it as becoming anaesthetised.

But that's just me :cool:

niagra

Forum User
...so, best tidy up the wheels on the Sunbeam and get it advertised! Anyone want a very good condition sunbeam lotus? I'll have to spend, whatever I get for my car so hopefully that'll be near 5k which should get me a well sorted 260Z by all accounts?