TOKICO rear shocks

parmenter

Well-Known Forum User
Just let people know i fitted over the winter break a set of tokico rear shocks to freebird & what a difference they make would recommend them to anyone .:) :) :) :D

Hi Parmenter,

which tokico did you fit on the back and did you keep to the old springs, as I need to change mine and not to sure which way to go.
Still want a nice smooth ride but not to hard, would you recommend them for the front too,
all advise greatly accepted,
cheers
Tony :)

Tokico Illumina (the adjustable version), position 1 and 2 suitable for normal road use. 1 is slightly stiffer than stock, 2 is my favoured setting for everyday use. 3 is a tough road setting for relatively smooth roads and 4 / 5 for track use. I have them on my 280ZX (yes, I can just about remember driving it), but the rears are no longer available for 280. The 300ZX Z31 version is only available for rear on a facelift model.

Tokico HP work great on just about any Z model. They are a gas shock / damper with a rate a bit stiffer than stock. I've used them on my Z32 SWB (available for sale BTW, in case you hadn't noticed) and fitted them to numerous customer cars. They work well on the 280ZX and help with the infamous rear end droop.

For everyday use and a nice ride on early Z models, the KYB gas cartridges are an economic alternative. OEM cartridges in Euro spec no longer availabe for 240Z, so your choice is limited there!

Many thanks too all of you for the advise and now I now a little more about shocks, but no one has told me if I should keep the old springs or if I should change them, advise will be wellcome

Many thanks in advance
Tony:)

Depends how old they are I guess! If somebody can tell you what their uncompressed height should be then when you swap the dampers out you can check to see if your springs have sagged to an unacceptable length. Otherwise I'd recommend a call to Mr. F. for some of his springs that he has made up especially for a very reasonable price!

Cheers,
Rob

shocks

I fitted the non adjustable type struts & the difference was unbelievable as i had koni adjustables on before ,also i kept the old springs on all i did was sand blast & clean up checked them & they seem fine you can get from america the complete set incl springs but i only changed the rears as mine were shot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers :) :)

Shocks

Hello Everyone!!

Any specs, model number etc.. re: these Tokico shocks coz i also need to change mine!!

Thanks!!

shocks

Hi pushrod i got them from usa from jdmwerks on ebay had no problems with post etc or you could try mike feeney mjp auto as he gets them aswell there are some on line at moment item no. 7949098701 cheers pete:) :)

Beware USA springs as most of their earlier Z specs are different to ours.

Tokico shocks and custom springs an MJP speciality...

Mike,

Please email me with your advice and prices (again) on the changing of the shocks on Cathys' 280 2 seater. You did mention it wasn't worth changing the springs as one would lose the comfort ! True ?
Thanks,
Sean

Back