Time for a refurb: Alternator

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
So, given that my car is in pieces and spread across the four corners of the Empire, I thought why not give things a bit of attention while they're apart.

Starting with the Alternator. Not being any kind of expert, I consulted the oracle, Google, then made a start. My Alternator as you'll see, was absolutely bogging dirty! Been sat under a leaky fuel pump spacer for many years!

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
My stuff is getting Teflon coated at work tomorrow!! YAY! I'll post up some pics when I get them back.

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
So, Teflon/PTFE coat is done! 200ºC cured and ready to go. There are a couple of spots where the coating looks a bit ropey but that just where there was corrosion before I shot blasted it. I had this piece of throttle linkage in the car too so I thought why not just chuck it in too! It's the best bit I think.

photo 1.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 5.JPG

photo 3.JPG

toopy

Club Member
How does Teflon coating compare to Powder coating, as in hardness and longevity of the surface.
Plus can Teflon also be used for larger pieces, assuming cost is comparable to powder coating say,
suspension components?

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Hi mate, it would be a lot more expensive than powder coat. I think it might be some sort of Xylan coating or very close. It's temperature range is -250º to +285º. In terms of friction, CoF of around 0.02! There's no reason why it couldn't be applied to any size of item but you'd be limited by the size of the paint oven. As for wear, I'm not sure yet but we have this coating on the inside of our M16 assault rifles (which is a semi bearing surface) and fired 1300 rounds through it with nothing to write home about.

Here's todays effort. Done in my tea break in the shot blaster. :thumbs:

image.jpeg

image-2.jpeg