Tales of the bloody typical!!

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
Inspired by Wyn's ability to stuff a completely new engine in to his car in about 3 seconds I thought I'd better do something and sort out my battery retainer thing. It would appear that some evil previous owner had managed to shear off the bolt that holds the square retainer to the firewall, and rather than do the decent thing and sort it out they got a smaller battery and mounted the retainer lower on the firewall with a self-tapper. May they burn in hell.

So off I go to get the bolt out with my newly aquired extractors. Manage to drill a vaguely centred hole (bit of an awkward location!) Start with the smallest extractor. Does nothing. Try the next size up, also does nothing apart from making the hole bigger. So try the next size up which does a damn good job of digging in but still totally fails to budge the bolt.

Arse I thought, might as well tap what's there to accept a M6 bolt and be done. So I drill out to 5mm, easy. Bung the tap in and start it off, no probs, when all of a sudden, snap. Fan-frikkin-tastic. One tap nicely snapped off flush with the fire wall. Only by great force of will did I manage not to tell the world exactly what I thought of it at that stage. I then thought, "hows about taking the wiper cowling off so you can get at the tap from the otherside?!" No probs, I've had that off a couple of times already, so within mere minutes it's off and I'm looking at a completely inaccessible area exactly where I want to get too. Typically on the opposite of the car is totally open and getting in there would be a doddle. I despair.

So now I'm left with a piece of nicely hardened steel embedded in a nicely sieze bolt, leaving me with very little option but to bodge the bloody battery retainer to fit the correct size battery. Somehow staying in bed this morning would probably have been the right option ;)

Thanks for reading, you've been a great audience!

Cheers,
Rob

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
as with the other thread "s**t happens" ....

it is downright nasty to smile at someone else's misfortune but your post cheered me up as i lay here bored silly in hospital. :D

sorry .....

hope you get it sorted Rob

cheers

andy

Russ

Club Member
Don't worry we all know the feeling, glad you shared with us as when something similar happens to me I know I'm not alone.

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
I was tempted to redesign the firewall with my handy sledge hammer but thought I'd best do some 3D renderings first to make sure it would look OK ;)

These things always amaze me though. I stripped the entire rear suspension and diff with absolutely no problem, but one little fecker of a bolt grinds me to a complete halt, grrr I tell ya, grrrrrrr!!

Cheers,
Rob

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Rob, Look at it like this, if that's the worst thing that's going to happen to you this week then you can't complain. Also if anybody likes engineering problems it's you so be grateful!

Feel better or worse now?