Swine Flu, coming to a cinema near you!

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Looks like this is starting to cause a few problems........ I spent last week in Hospital with my 3 yr ols son, not for Flu, he has other problems but the other Kids all had pneumonia....Now I'm not a Doctor but surely it'snot normal for a ward to be full of kids with pnuemonia in mid summer, another child had TB!! scary stuff.
Today my sons pre school called saying one of the boys has swine flu and my son is showing signs of it :(
Apparently you can't see a doctor you have to call a helpline and they won't help unless you provide them with your temperature.
I was talking to one of the MRI operators while I was waiting for my son to wake up from his anesthetic and she said they are very worried about it spreading through the hospital and that her husband was a policeman and had been training to defend the anti-viral stores.

Sorry to hear your son has been in Hospital, my daughters been in too recently, all's good now I think, the swine flu thing will hit hard this winter, hopefully i'm wrong.

yeah if your healthy it's no problem but if your ill enough to be in hospital then you're immune system will be coping with enough already so catching Swine Flu won't help at all:(

It's the ill and frail that are at risk:(

Horrible stuff, hope your kids all make a speedy recovery.

What's frightening is that if someone does need to go to hospital its the bugs in there you need to watch! My friends mum died in hospital after contracting MRSA. It's a disgrace.

Thanks George/Nick

It seems like years and years of anti biotic use is causing big problems...the bugs are wise to them now.

My son was having siezures back in Jan/Feb for no apparent reason then allof a sudden they stopped...until last Tue.I was playing with him in the house when I noticed he was only smiling on one side of his face...after asking him to say "cheese" and to blink I took him straight to hospital.Once there I was asked to see some old bag that said I should take him to my GP!! after kicking up a fuss another nurse came out..she asked a few questions then said take him to A&E in Bath now and I will phone them and tellthem to expect you....good job really as we had only been there ten minutes when he collapsed in front of the doctor whilst playing with the toys in the waiting area. I stayed in there with him as he had to have an MRI and lumbar puncture as they were concerned something nasty was in his head.The MRI came back clear and the spinal fluid looked good but is being checked for Lymes disease. They are now saying his face not working on the right side is Bell's palsy and has no connection with his siezures and they sent us home on Saturday...I'm not convinced though, it's a massive coincidence that he had no problems for 4 months then his face stops moving on the right side and he had 3 siezures the same day....today he has a bad headache and is finding it difficult to find the right words to finish his sentence so I am going to take back in tomorrow. It could be epilespy although the EEG tests came back clear also. Poor little chap, he has been so good with all of it.
The images that I was shown from the MRI scans were amazing, you could look at a slice of the brain from any angle.

Simon - you know that you have my thoughts and best wishes for your son and your falmily - what a strain ! Don't sell your Z though :) - you need an outlet !

Swine fever :

one of my nieces was admitted to hospital at the weekend with a fever of 42°c - they were going to send her home until the parents stated that she'd been on a school trip in the UK and whilst they were there, three other kids from the same school were admitted with similar symptoms ! They're all stable now but under observation.

Why haven't I seen or heard of this in the UK, schools weren't closed for precaution were they as they were over here ?

Thanks sean . . I wont be selling the z , I was in a position last year with tax problems where i should have sold it but i work too hard to sell it . . I would have sold it too my friend for a pound before id let the tax man have it . Why haven t you heard anything ? Because at the end of the day the the news is controlled . . Panic would not do anyone any good . I dont trust the goverment to do the right thing though .

Panic....panic ? Christ, that's the oldest and most useless excuse for not properly informing the public to take limited, sensible precautions and just exactly how epidemics like this spread, through ignorance !

News is controlled -yes, I know that - I worked for 14months in the MOD press office and what happens and what isn't heard about and what is but how it's distorted is alarming !

It's easy to say - we have it all controlled - very few cases noted - everything's alright Jack 'cept for thousands of cases of possible hayfever, and summer colds brought on by excessive changes in the ambient temperature - all rollocks but who questions it ?

aww poor mite.

Bells Palsey at his age is extremely rare hun.. I had one at the age of 23years and that was considered unusal. It's caused where nerve endings are inflamed and swell often by caused by an infection/cold and the nerve gets cut against the hole in the bone it's going through it's usually means a massive awefull pain at the back of the head. I thought mine was going to explode then next morning there was the nerve damage.

Usually it take's about 9months for the nerve ending to re attach and normally there's no permenant long term damage. I have a slight long term damage you wouldn't notice, my smile is slightly crocked on that side.

Be aware it might effect his sight ie double vision while it's healing excessive blinking eye wanting to close, running eye etc and dribling out the corner of his mouth worse when he's tired.

Those seisure's must have been both upseting and frightening :( So many reason's a young child can have them as well. I hope your little boy gets better soonly hun and the doctors work out what caused them and how to avoid him having any more.

I'd take him back hun if he's now having headache's although if it's affecting his sight like mine did then that can cause headache's I know it did for me.

big hugs for your little one

My mum had Bells Palsy quite badly and hers never really recovered. I remember when it happened, as I was getting ready for school in the morning and I thought she was winking at me (she wasn't) and she was complaining of a headache. For a long while she couldn't drink properly as it would just dribble out of the side of her mouth. She had a course of electric shock treatment to try and stimulate the nerves back into growth but it didn't really work. It's a lot better than it was though. Your little fella has age on his side as the body is always growing and healing at a huge rate when they're nippers. He'll be right as rain before you know it.

Swine flu is not really a problem. As you've mentioned, we've mutated most other diseases by not finishing anti-biotic courses and made them stronger and resilient to drugs. As long as we don't do the same with swine flu then it'll just go away. Unlike proper influenza which kills lots of people, swine flu is no more 'potent' a disease than a cold or sore throat. The sooner the media stop scare-mongering, trying to convince us that it's really serious the better. A pandemic virus that kills people that get it is serious. A pandemic 'cold' that requires a Locket is not!

yeah if your healthy it's no problem but if your ill enough to be in hospital then you're immune system will be coping with enough already so catching Swine Flu won't help at all:(

Not always so especially with extreamly aggressive strains

The 1918 flu pandemic (commonly referred to as the Spanish flu) was an influenza pandemic that spread to nearly every part of the world. It was caused by an unusually virulent and deadly Influenza A virus strain of subtype H1N1. Historical and epidemiological data are inadequate to identify the geographic origin of the virus.[1] Most of its victims were healthy young adults, in contrast to most influenza outbreaks which predominantly affect juvenile, elderly, or otherwise weakened patients. The flu pandemic has also been implicated in the sudden outbreak of Encephalitis lethargica in the 1920s.[2]

The pandemic lasted from March 1918 to June 1920,[3] spreading even to the Arctic and remote Pacific islands. It is estimated that anywhere from 50 to 100 million people were killed worldwide,[4][5] or the approximate equivalent of one third of the population of Europe.[6][7][8] An estimated 500 million people, one third of the world's population (approximately 1.6 billion at the time), became infected.[5]

Scientists have used tissue samples from frozen victims to reproduce the virus for study. Given the strain's extreme virulence there has been controversy regarding the wisdom of such research. Among the conclusions of this research is that the virus kills via a cytokine storm (overreaction of the body's immune system) which explains its unusually severe nature and the concentrated age profile of its victims. The strong immune systems of young adults ravaged the body, whereas the weaker immune systems of children and middle-aged adults caused fewer deaths.

Shamlessly nicked from t'interweb

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been an intensive campaign here for over two years now of when not to take anti-biotics and having a virus is definitely NOT a reason !

Thank you (Lets drift) and Superjacko :)

The hospital just said to keep a close eye on him and bring him in if anything gets worse. He's seems to be fairly happy today, it's just the random head pains that upset him.

My 10 year old Jack has had been ill for months (since start jan 09) lots of time off school been to doctors lots of time ended up in Alder Hay Childrens Hospital with viral pneumonia !!!!!!.

Getting better now only gone back to school last week.

My 10 year old Jack has had been ill for months (since start jan 09) lots of time off school been to doctors lots of time ended up in Alder Hay Childrens Hospital with viral pneumonia !!!!!!.

Getting better now only gone back to school last week.

It's good to know he's on the mend.

Thanks for the replys chaps to tell the truth is been very worrying time the last few months my wife had to give up her part time job so she could look after him.

Got a letter from Jacks school today with a teacher off ill confirmed to have swine flu.

Back