Suspension Diagnostic, Tyre wear and Falken Tyres

cols_almera

Forum User
I had Bridgestone Winter tyres on my car and replaced them with four Falken 452's. Wow, what a difference, they are awesome. They grip so well, are great in the wet and are a lot quieter. Very happy. :dance:
After taking off the 3 month old Bridgestones to replace with the Falkens, I noticed a lot of wear on all four tyres.

wear.JPG

So I have just been down to 'Elite Direct' in Essex to get a full suspension diagnostic check done. It is an amazing place, everyone were nice and extremely knowledgeable. They also had some awesome cars booked in including a Skyline GTR33.

Note: I have Tein Coilover height adjustable suspension.

The results of my suspension is as follows:
suspension_before.jpg

They said the camber and toe was out and the carster was out alot too. They fixed the Toe and adjusted the camber as much as possible.
As for the Carster, they said I need to buy new adjustable Carster rods. Apparently, the Carster makes the car pull to one side (in my case to the right), which it does by a tiny amount. Not enough to worry about.

Anyway, out of interest does anyone know of these Carster rods i.e. makes, prices and details etc? Has anyone else experienced these problems?

Below is the results after they adjusted the toe and camber:
suspension_after.jpg

The camber is still out by a degree or two, but they said 300zx's are prone for this. What do you think?

hi there
how much did it cost to do all the work:confused: ?
i got a zed 32 tt:Z31: might consider having it done if its not too much dough:conf2:

icon6.gif

its a zed thing baby!!

interesting to see these results. I have been trying to get something like this for my sons z32 but can only find garages who allegedly realign the wheels but can't produce such a printout.

What size wheels do you have? My sons are 19" and I find very few people are able to align or even balance these correctly.

I know you can get adjustable front upper arms to adjust the camber and adjustable front tension rods to adjust the caster and I am told these may be neccessary to overcome scrubbing on the larger wheels however I have been unable to obtain such readings as you have to see if these parts would benefit his car.

Last edited by a moderator:
With no intention of being picky or anal etc... the correct term is "caster" derived from the original use of.
a small wheel on a swivel, set under a piece of furniture, a machine, etc., to facilitate moving it.

In the automotive sense
The angle that the kingpin makes with the vertical. Automobiles are usually designed with the upper end of the kingpin inclined rearward (positive caster) for improved directional stability.

This may help in obtaining the parts required.

alanz said:
hi there
how much did it cost to do all the work ?
i got a zed 32 tt might consider having it done if its not too much dough

Hi Alan

It cost me £90 to have it all checked and re-aligned. Elite are one of the best places for tyres/suspension/exhausts I have been too. They were working on other lovely cars including skylines and supras so have a good reputation!

The camber is still out a little bit as you can see by the diagram, the suspension guy said it cant be helped as the car has been lowered so much. This is a common problem with the zeds. I have heard it can be corrected by fitting adjustable upper arms, which cost £200+ but I will see how it goes!

Derek Sulley said:
interesting to see these results. I have been trying to get something like this for my sons z32 but can only find garages who allegedly realign the wheels but can't produce such a printout.

What size wheels do you have? My sons are 19" and I find very few people are able to align or even balance these correctly.

I know you can get adjustable front upper arms to adjust the camber and adjustable front tension rods to adjust the caster and I am told these may be neccessary to overcome scrubbing on the larger wheels however I have been unable to obtain such readings as you have to see if these parts would benefit his car.

I have 17" wheels.
I would happily travel the distance and go there again if I need any future work done.

Good too see those results bud.
I've just bought myself a full suspension set up including KYB shocks, Eibach springs, adjustable front upper arms, adjustable rear upper arms, adjustable front tension rods, adjustable anti-sway bars front and rear, subframe spacers and front and rear strut braces.

My standard shocks were buggered so i bought the KYBs, then i got a bit carried away. :rolleyes:

I should be fitting this lot fairly soon so i'll let you know how well it turns out. Hopefully it will be spot on after that. Unfortunately that place in Essex is FAR to far away for me, but i've found a good place in Edinburgh.

Cheers
Scott

Oh, give me a shout if you need any help on where to find these parts and prices etc

I know its been a while now, but i've just had my full suspension allignment carried out. What a difference!
I finished fittin all the parts a week ago and the difference then was unbelievable. There was a slight wobble from the front but the car was so much tighter, there was next to no roll around corners and the steering was much more responsive. The allignment has completely removed the wobble and has just made the zed feel like a new car.
The suspension is maybe a tad hard at the rear, but a quick turn of a screw will sort that. :D

I couldnt recommend doing this enough. Well pleased!

For anyone interested, i had this done at CLCM in Edinburgh. It took a couple of hours and cost less than £60!

Back