Suggestions for a place to get carbs/ intake rebuilt?

RawlinSTR

Club Member
Hi all,

I'm looking to get my intake manifold and SU's rebuilt and refurbished somewhere.

Has anyone used anywhere in the past that they'd recommend?

Thanks,
Simon

Farmer42

Club Member
Z-Therapy in the US will do whatever you want to the carbs ... Woody has his done there - pretty happy I think.

Ali K had his from Ztherapy. They do a good job but it will be expensive - all in, well over a grand for a pair - more if you factor in the intake manifold. They are about the only place that will do them these days and you have all the hassle of getting them to and from the US.

Have you considered switching to British SU carbs? HS6 or 2" HS8 will work fine and will bolt straight onto your manifold. Cheaper to get new and parts are readily available unlike the Datsun carbs. There have been threads on them previously. The closest configuration is from a MGC or Burlen will build them to your spec for a Datsun Z.

If you are worried about cleaning up your intake manifold, dump it in a tub of Jizer degreaser give it a bit of a scrub leave it for a few days and it will come out shiny.

IbanezDan51

Well-Known Forum User
I’ve just pulled a set of HS6 carbs from a 240Z manifold and binned the linkage!

Have stuck them on eBay for anyone interested...

Dan

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
As Mike says I've used ZTherapy in the USA to do mine, very pleased with the end result. The quality of the work is superb and they're better than new, they've even improved a couple of areas and won't need any looking at for years to come or thousands of miles. They also offer refurbished intake manifolds, heat shields and fuel rails etc.

Good thing is that its done on an exchange basis with a deposit so you have a new lot sent to you, then you can install at your leisure before sending your old lot back for a refund on your 'core' deposit. Cost wise its not as bad as you think for the product your receiving imo, happy to look up the costs if you want but its all advertised on their website....

Here's what I was sent after unboxing, the fitted photo also shows the re-plated fuel rail, not had a bad word said against them other than the settings were way out on installation and required some time to get them setup ideally.

IMG_6195 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

IMG_6194 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

IMG-7316 by Mark Woodrow, on Flickr

uk66fastback

Club Member
Mark, did you have an exchange manifold too? And sent that back to them as well? Did yours have the smog stuff on it?

RawlinSTR

Club Member
Thanks for the replies all.

I have heard about and had a look into the ZTherapy sets - yours look great Mark - but I wanted to see if anyone in the UK would carry out their 'restoration' services on them like they do with SU's and suchlike.

I've contacted a few companies, I'll see what they come back with. If it's a no then either I'll have to spend the time attempting to do them myself, or consider converting to HS6's.

Simon

Last edited:

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Mark, did you have an exchange manifold too? And sent that back to them as well? Did yours have the smog stuff on it?

Yes yes and yes again.

Unbolted one lot and bolted the new setup in place, had the balance tube taken up to EU spec and sent back my emissions gubbins and balance tube. There's no circumstance that I'd ever want to us it again...

Farmer42

Club Member
Thanks for the replies all.

I have heard about and had a look into the ZTherapy sets - yours look great Mark - but I wanted to see if anyone in the UK would carry out their 'restoration' services on them like they do with SU's and suchlike.

I've contacted a few companies, I'll see what they come back with. If it's a no then either I'll have to spend the time attempting to do them myself, or consider converting to HS6's.

Simon

I looked into this when I wanted to get my Datsun carbs refurbished. I couldn't find anyone in the UK that would do it. You can buy rebuild kits for them but they don't include the Throttle shaft bushes and bearings. If they are worn (and bearing in mind most are over 40 years old) it will suck in air where it shouldn't and you will have wasted your money in buying the kit which is not cheap (around £200) because I can guarantee they wont run right - been there & done it!!.

Z-Therapy replace all of that and as Mark said, they do a really good job and it all looks the Dog's but by the time you pay for postage back & forth to the US plus all the taxes, the costs mount up. That is why I decided to go down the British SU route cos you can get the bits new within days and you can get them built to order or get a used set completely refurbished. It's a heck of a lot cheaper which was a big factor given my lack of funds. The only thing you don't get is a nice shiny new linkage and you will probably have to get the manifold & balance tube polished.

Mark

You need to sort that inspection lamp Bud!:unsure: You have all that shiny stuff in that lovely engine bay and a grotty lamp. Give it a polish. You never know, at this time of year you may get a Genie appear from it!:p

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Mark

You need to sort that inspection lamp Bud!:unsure: You have all that shiny stuff in that lovely engine bay and a grotty lamp. Give it a polish. You never know, at this time of year you may get a Genie appear from it!:p

You missed that I also need to do the fuel filter bracket, engine lid stay and brake master cylinder caps as well ;) It' just time and money as ever, never intended the engine bay to become show standard, it kinda just did.... Haha, wishful thinking there!

RawlinSTR

Club Member
Little update on this...

I decided to have a proper look at the carbs on the engine I bought, and low and behold:

45698913854_a1855008d2.jpg

The 'Made in England' stamp reveals all.

Not sure why I hadn't given them a closer inspection beforehand, I think because I just stored them away when I picked the engine up and didn't give them a second thought!

This will make things easier/ cheaper for me now.

Simon