Steering vibration/j...j...j...judder

HOUSEQUAKE

Well-Known Forum User
I have a bad vibration through the steering wheel which begins anywhere between 60-70mph :(

I cannot drive through it, it persists and gets progressively worse all the way up to 120 which is as far as I dare take it :eek:

I have had wheels balanced and all struts, joints, suspension etc checked by my mechanic and he can't seem to nail it down.

His only suggestion left is to try balancing the wheels on the car - anyone know if this might work :conf2:

On car wheel balancing should not be necessary, you would be better off finding the root cause of the problem. Some other things to try:

Is the ballancing machine used accurate? I found that my local tyre fitter had a defective machine after I took my car back 5 times. Of course he would not believe me but hey, I took it to another garage, got em done again and they were perfect.

Has your mechanic checked the front wheel bearings, thay can cause wheel shake?

Are you using spacers with your wheels? If so they could cause imballance.

Make sure your wheel nuts are all the same, locking wheel nuts especially (weigh them).

You might have warped disk(s) that are causing the shake at high speed, but that is a long shot.

Hi Bongo and thanks for the reply.

The car has just had front and rear suspension overhauled/uprated.

New bearings, ball joints, urethane bits all round, tokico struts, oversized anti roll bars, nuts, bolts, washers etc you name it!

In fact everything came off and the only original parts that went back on were the control arms, steering column, knuckles, strut casings and brake disks...everything has been removed - renewed and set to torque settings as per manual.

I'm assuming (perhaps wrongly) that the disks are OK as there is no vibration on braking?

Is it possible that an anomoly somewhere further back in the drivetrain could manifest in the steering???

Last edited by a moderator:
Nigel Brook said:
Has this problem manifested itself since you've done all this work or was it like it before?

I have to say Nigel, I don't remember it being there before :conf2:

I had a problem on mine (many years ago when it was on the road), that when having new tyres fitted and a particular wheel was put on the front, I would have vibration after checking everything else. It turned out this wheel was ever so slightly oval.... I had to have it put on the back. Should of seen them exploding the new tyres when the fitters used the air line to help put the new tyre on the rim.

Probably does not help you but......

Ian

Ian Patmore said:
I had a problem on mine (many years ago when it was on the road), that when having new tyres fitted and a particular wheel was put on the front, I would have vibration after checking everything else. It turned out this wheel was ever so slightly oval.... I had to have it put on the back. Should of seen them exploding the new tyres when the fitters used the air line to help put the new tyre on the rim.

Probably does not help you but......

Ian

Probably does help as I feel it's a wheel/tyre issue. Have you checked there are no bulges in the front tyres. Fitting urethane bushes in the steering is going to accenuate any previous vibration which cannot now be absorbed in sloppy rubber.

How about the rack bushes? mine were so bad the rack would move an inch before the wheels!

I've had this problem, it turned out to be an alloy wheel that was not round due to damage on the inside rim (not by me). Jack it up and spin the wheels to check.

Have you tried other wheel/tyre combination?

Back