steering rack

abas

Well-Known Forum User
Here's a weird one.

Just fitted some new rack boots to my steering rack. No problem there. But when I wind the rack repeatedly from left to right one side blows up like a balloon, and the other side looks like someone sucking in their cheeks (ie a vacuum inside. )

As I presume this is not normal anyone got any ideas?

thanks

Andrew

i think there should be some sort of grease nipple on the boot that you sometimes have to cut to allow you to get some grease in.that might help as i seem to remeber doing something like that on mine.

dont cut the boot it will split over time, it sounds like trapped wind! :devil: gaviscon?....lol

try slackening off the outer boot ties a bit so air can move freely

I am in the process of stripping my steering rack, and managed to scrape off the old underseal from my boots. The reason I say this, is that I have had to have a close look while doing this, and on a standard boot, there is a nipple with a hole in it (track rod end). This is obviously there to let the air in/out when the rack compresses the boot.

If this was me, I would make a small x cut (2-3mm) and cut away the "flaps" to create a hole. Make this as neat as poss, cutting from each arm of the x at the end. The hole on the original boot is at the top when looking at the track rod end. This would not think this would split, as this end of the boot is not moving very much, and now there is a hole in it, there will be no pressure (to cause it to split) from the rack turning.

Just my thoughts....
Cheers
Ian

Well There Is Only One Way To Find Out.cut It !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back