starter solinoid

Jimbo

1978 260z in yellow
Club Member
hello everyone.
where can i get a new starter solinoid from for a 260z?
mine seems to be sticking :smash:

ive serviced the rest of the starter motor and all seems pretty good:thumbs:

regards

james

hello everyone.
where can i get a new starter solinoid from for a 260z?
mine seems to be sticking :smash:

ive serviced the rest of the starter motor and all seems pretty good:thumbs:

regards

james

I have had the same problem in the past. The starter/solenoid combination is not as straightforward as might seem. I bought an apparantly 'fully refurbished' starter/solenoid from the US a few years ago at some fabulous cost!. In fairness it did work for a little while before becoming temperamental (just a click on turning the key but then suddenly deciding to behave).

I was fortunate in being directed to MC Alternators (Auto-Electricians) of Bridgefoot Ind Est, Old Road. Warrington). They were incredibly helpful and after testing the 'refurbished' unit demonstrated to me that the refubished solenoid had failed. Without any obvoius 'new' alternative the guy there spent a considerable amount of time trying to find something suitable. Thankfully he managed to source a brand new Bosch (I think) complete starter assembly equivalent at a cost of £120.00 (rather cheaper tha the US refurb item). It fitted perfectly and has been absolutely faultless since fitting.

I have four old starters lying on a shelf in my garage (I think three of them are for a 260z and the fourth which is a little smaller may be for a 240z). All I think have some sort of issue but each still has its solenoid. If you can get someone to pick them up you are quite welcome to them at no cost. It may be that you could manage to salvage at least one good solenoid.

Back