'Split Webers' on an S30

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Do we know if anyone has tried 'split webers' on our cars?

It occurred to me that one way to fuel an L series engine without using old SUs, expensive fuel injection or triple twin-choke carbs would be to use either one twin-choke OR to use two twin-choke carbs but only half of them i.e. just two chokes total.

Using one twin-choke would be the cheapest route but the intake lengths of the manifold would be unequal lengths i.e. short for cylinders 3 and 4, long for 1 and 6.

By using 'split webers' the standard Hitachi/SU manifold may be able to be used with an adaptor plate and a bit of machining.

Ok you buy 2 carbs and only use half of them but this is done on other cars so it must be worth it.

Advantages over Hitachi/SU:

New carbs, tuning potential with availability of choke tubes and jets.

Advantages over triple carbs:

One less carb to buy, only two lots of components to experiment with when tuning instead of six so cheaper, easier to balance.

May be more economical - I don't know why but most triple set-ups are thirsty.

I realise that brand new Hitachi/SUs would be good and that triple Webers/Dellortos are perhaps the ultimate carbs and available 'off the shelf'.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Anybody know what these single choke sidedraght Webers are? They are featured in a youtube video of a TVR with Triumph 2.5 inline 6.

Attachments

• 20240128_224216.jpg
    20240128_224216.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 24

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Another type of single choke sidedraft weber.

Attachments

• 20240128_224510.jpg
    20240128_224510.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 13