Somthings strange

Wyn

Club Member
ErikssonKallstromZs.jpg

ErikssonFairZEngs.jpg

How can that be a x flow Zed engine?

Or is it ? :confused:

I can't see the zorst manifold or outlet manifold, whatever, so I'm guessing its on the other side? I am a beginner to all this though so feel free to strike me down :)

Russ, you can see the inlet fine, just after the bell mouths

Strange thing is, it’s on the wrong side of the engine tho !!

The engine also looks like it's leaning the wrong way aswell

That’s what’s got me :confused:

I agree it looks on a slant, but that could just be deceptive.

I'm looking for the outlet though which on a x flow head is on the opposite side right?

Not sure But there were some companies producing x flow heads in Japan I think they maybe still be available huge money though, Albrect or someone will probably know more about this head..

I believe that the works did indeed develop and use a crossflow head towards the end of the rally era of the 240/260Z.

Hugh

Not sure But there were some companies producing x flow heads in Japan
That will be the OS Giken TC24 head then
Discussed to death on classiczcars.com with excellent input from Albrecht

Loads of money when they do come up, wooden molds no longer suitable for producing base castings and no intention of re starting production.

Han Tjan, who was driving the nissan sponsored dutch race car in the 70's and had contacts with nissan, managed to get hold of a crossflow head for Janspeed when they took over the developement of the car. There were 2 types of crossflow head, 1 being a customer head and the other being the race head. The differences were subtle but the race head engined cars were noticable quicker apparently. As far as janspeed could make out there was no chance of getting a race head out of japan so had to settle with the standard one. they used that head when they tried to turbo the race car and I believe that it now resides on a fourways engineering prepared race 240z. If you have the spare cash to take out another mortgage then you might be able to encourage someone who has a crossflow head to part with it. But the advantages of using this head (when taking into account the cost) are not that great with the advances in modern engineering and technology that are available to the modern day engine builder(in my opinion) ben

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for the info, tis easy when you know how. :D
Cool looking piece of kit tho :cool:

Thought summert looked fishy when I saw the manifolds on the o/s
I take it that pic was taken on an angle? Almost looks like the engine is sitting at a diffo angle from normal, looks like its leaning to the n/s !

Cap doffed to zbloke and SKiddell :)

It looks like it is sitting at a funny angle because it IS sitting at a funny angle. Nissan's 'LY' Crossflow head was used with special engine mountings and bellhousing that tipped the engine over at a greater angle than the stock L-series.....

The 'LY' head was normally used with special crank, rods, pistons & flywheel ( as well as the LY-type inlet and exhaust manifolds ) and was sold to the general public via the 'Nissan Sport Service' and their Sports Option parts lists in Japan. The 'Works' race and rally teams used them to good effect ( SCCN circuit race cars were using them from late 1972 in Japan ) and the first of these used Mikuni 50PHH carbs. They were soon to be seen with Nissan's 'ECGI' injection setups, as seen in the photos of '4079' above.

Two of these engines are running here in the UK - both of them left over from Nissan's rally activities here and in Europe.

They are extremely sought-after in Japan, and command high prices. Nissan have just one running car with the LY engine ( an ex-SCCN / Nissan Racing School car that was 'restored' by NISMO three or four years ago ) and there are several running engines in private street cars out there too.

Here are some pics of a street-tuned car in Japan I saw a couple of years ago, running on 50PHH Mikunis:

Attachments

• LY at Sagamiko 2003-1.jpg
    LY at Sagamiko 2003-1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 47
  • LY at Sagamiko 2003-2.jpg
    LY at Sagamiko 2003-2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 43
Here's a pic of a Works rally car running on Nissan's 'ECGI' injection:

Attachments

• LY - Works rally car-232A.jpg
    LY - Works rally car-232A.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 50
Hi Albrect,

Good to see you here. Great photos as per usual.

I see the last pic shows a left hand drive car, any particular reason why it is LHD and not RHD? Would they have not chosed home market vehicles which would have been RHD?

Now that is phat :cool:

Odd if in 73 Nissan had already built an xflow head, why they then didn't introduce it into normal production on the later Zeds.

Got any pics of under that rocker cover?

Looks awfully low compared with the std cover.

Looks more like it would be a push rod set up instead of ohc!

MrG240Z said:
I see the last pic shows a left hand drive car, any particular reason why it is LHD and not RHD? Would they have not chosed home market vehicles which would have been RHD?
Hi George,
The Works circuit-race Z cars were RHD, and so were the first batches of Works Z rally cars. However, for use on events such as the Monte Carlo Rally an LHD layout was preferable for the drivers and the navigators. Indeed, world-class drivers of that period had often grown up with LHD cars ( Aaltonen for example, who had a lot of input on how the Works rally cars were to be put together ) and would have preferred to use LHD cars. Nissan continued to build both LHD and RHD Works cars for most of the rally career of the S30-series Z cars.

Interestingly, Nissan moved the position of the handbrake on the LHD Works rally cars from the right side of the trans tunnel to the left - to the preference of the drivers. This was no small job! Note that the handbrake is ALWAYS on the right side of the trans tunnel in both LHD and RHD versions of the S30-series Z, except on these Works rally cars.

900ss said:
Odd if in 73 Nissan had already built an xflow head, why they then didn't introduce it into normal production on the later Zeds.
They had built other crossflow heads before the LY, and some of them were even more complex and efficient ( the 'S20' 24-valve DOHC for example - which was fitted to a Z - from 1969! ) and were aimed at a smaller niche market than their more usual and simple non-crossflow SOHC designs. The majority of these 'special' engines were developed with racing in mind.

The LY was developed specifically for racing too, and was only sold to the general public in order to homologate it. As a single-cam two-valve design, it would have been difficult to adapt to the sweeping new emissions regulations ( Japan had stringent regulations in force from the early Seventies ) and would also have been expensive to build. In retrospect, its easy now to see why Nissan carried on with the L-series fours and sixes whilst they developed more efficient and 'clean' engines such as the FJ and ( eventually ) the RB.

The placement of the handbrake on works rallly cars is a great bit of Z trivia! I guess that they must have "secretly" known that the handbrake on LHD cars was not best placed on the right of the trans tunnel but chose to ignore it due to cost savings..

900ss said:
Got any pics of under that rocker cover?

Looks awfully low compared with the std cover.

Looks more like it would be a push rod set up instead of ohc!
Here are a couple of scans from one of Nissan's 'Sports Option' catalogues.

The 'LY' was an SOHC design, with the valves ( two per cylinder ) actuated by angled 'finger' rockers riding on the cam lobes. The valves were arranged in a 'V' shape, hence the low profile in comparison to an ordinary L-series head in which the valves are at a much less extreme angle.

Attachments

• 73 Sports Opt. p.3-1.jpg
    73 Sports Opt. p.3-1.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 73 Sports Opt. p.3-2.jpg
    73 Sports Opt. p.3-2.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 39
Back