SOLD: Anyone fancy a piece of JDM wall art (Sports Option Compe steering wheel)?

richiep

Club Member
I’m having a garage clear out as I’ve tripped over sh!t one too many times today and finally had enough of hanging onto “just in case” items and other curiosities…

This is a genuine Nissan Competition steering wheel. I restored this a few years ago and got as far as putting it in my red Z when I discovered the small issue that leads me to refer to it as garage wall art: the splines are shot. Repeat: you should NOT put this in your Z and try to go for a drive - unless you wish to go only in a straight line, or just want to sit in the car, making race car noises while frantically turning the wheel left and right like a 5 year-old…

Since that little discovery, it’s been collecting dust and needs a deep clean. The wheel covering has a bit of crazing from heat in Japan on the top-back, and a few other marks. Although the horn components are missing in the pics, I do have them and will include (no horn pad though). Overall condition is pretty good. It may well be possible to repair the splines; I’d considered getting my local go-to precision engineers to look at whether a new splined insert could be made and fitted, or something else suggested (he likes little challenges like that).

Anyhoo… these are normally mucho expensive. Reproductions without a horn pad are around £180-200 plus post, duty etc., from Japan. NOS Nissan Competition originals are 5-600 quid+.

£75??? (plus post) Anyone??

4D1B134C-AF36-44ED-B5DA-C6C394011EA2.jpeg
4D1B134C-AF36-44ED-B5DA-C6C394011EA2.jpeg

Attachments

• 8C271D26-4E2D-41FA-8C65-A697CF6319C3.jpeg
    8C271D26-4E2D-41FA-8C65-A697CF6319C3.jpeg
    309.8 KB · Views: 20
Is it diecast metal on the inner Richie? Could you not have it machined out and a new spline welded in?

That’s what I had in mind. It’s just time and money tbh. Too much stuff, too many mini projects - and big ones - and I need to prioritise.

Back