Silicone Hose Sealing

toopy

Club Member
I bought some Samco hoses, top and bottom, and fitted them to the car.

The bottom one seemed ok at first but the following day it was dripping, the clamp had a half turn more before it was tight as,
but it still drips! also noticed a weep at the engine inlet end, again tightening the clamp didnt help.
In the end i had to use two clamps at each end and that seems to have done the trick.

Only thing i can think of is the hose diameter is fractionally too big, it pushes on and pulls of quite easy, even when dry.
Just a 1mm less on the diameter would probably do it.
I did notice the inlet stub had some digs in it on the end, which doesnt help sealing, but the rad bottom stub is perfect!

Anyone else ever had this issue, Samco must of sold quite a few of these over time so any problems
should of been sorted ages ago.

toopy

Club Member
Are you using a proper hose clamp or a jubilee clip

I started with the proper wide band type clamps recommended for silicone hoses, but have now
resorted to two jubilee type clamps on either end, which seems to have cured the drip for now!
Doesn't look so pretty tho as you can imagine :unsure:

toopy

Club Member
Well, now the engine has been hot a couple of times it would seem the silicone softens to some degree.
Where as initially the clamps seemed to be as tight as possible, the hose is now compressed a little,
allowing extra tightening of the clamps, i managed a good three or four extra turns on the screw, using a socket :D