Seam sealer?

johnymd

Club Member
When restoring a z shell so its actually usable rather than just for show, do you seal all the seams? The way I see it is the cars of the 70's weren't sealed enough so moisture would get into the seams between panel and end up rusting. That's the reason seam sealer is used throughout modern cars. So do you restore the car how Datsun made it or protect your car by carefully filling the small gaps where panel join. I'm not talking about wide rippled lines of ugly sealer but carefully applied sealant to just fill the gap.

Definitely seam sill her, she will be your legacy John!

Are you going to acid dip or blast?

100% use seam sealer, on every single seam, it can be done neatly if more care is taken.

Always a problem John

on the orange car I used a polyurethane sealant then wiped it with a scotch pad on the underbody seams, seals well and looks professional when over painted and hardly notices when I put the stone chip bodyguard over it, I suspect your looking for something for the inner wing to turret joints and rails, if your brave enough model a mastic gun end to a flat end and apply to the joints just like the modern cars have around the door skins where they fold round

That's the reassurance I neaded.

I'm haveing selective areas shot blasted on Wednesday. They are doing: floras I and out, front inner arches and air tubes, engine bay bulkhead, cowl area, tailgate seal area, roof gutters, door shuts, and sills. Additionally any areas with visible rust or bubbles. It's just the bare shell Wednesday but ill also be taking the tailgate if I get a chance.

That's the reassurance I neaded.

I'm haveing selective areas shot blasted on Wednesday. They are doing: floras I and out, front inner arches and air tubes, engine bay bulkhead, cowl area, tailgate seal area, roof gutters, door shuts, and sills. Additionally any areas with visible rust or bubbles. It's just the bare shell Wednesday but ill also be taking the tailgate if I get a chance.

Any particular reason for not doing the whole lot via blasting? Are you bare metalling the rest via other means, e.g strip discs?

The blaster has advised me not to blast the all the loverly straight panels, just the edges and strip the rest by hand, which is what I'm going to do.

The blaster has advised me not to blast the all the loverly straight panels, just the edges and strip the rest by hand, which is what I'm going to do.

I wondered if that might be the answer. Sounds very sensible. What are you doing about putting it in epoxy - doing that after you've hand stripped the remainder?

The strippers will epoxy all bare metal. You can't leave it very long or it will start rusting.

Back