Sealant for the oil sender

Mr.G

Club Member
I see that someone previously used some sort of silicone sealer along the threads of the sender.

I've run out, now I can go and buy some more or use the Universal Blue that I alread have. Will that do the trick?

Thanks.

Thanks guys.

I wasn't too sure how resistant to oil PTFE tape is and a search led me to LOCTITE 567 PTS. It is basically like the PTFE tape but in liquid form, and can be used in very hot environments and does not deteriorate in oil.

I thought of getting it as I want to also use it on the oil to turbo feeder pipe.

Unfortunately it's a bit hard to get hold of in the UK (its big in the US), and I called Frost who told me that they didnt stock it but had something similar called "lock and seal". I have my reservations, as to whether it really is similar, but I have ordered it and will see how it fairs.

george, you can use PTFE tape (the white stuff) for your sender unit. Do not put too much on in the hope that more is good. 3 or 4 turns will be ample. I think the turbo pipe fittings will not need PTFE as they will be designed to mate together dry.
Alternatively you could splodge some liquid on that the americans advise and supply and then next time you need to remove the fitting it will strip out the threads in the block( possibly).
Personally I have always used PTFE on all my engines and never had a leak.
Keep building ben

Thanks very much guys, there's nothing better then hearing it from the experienced.

I don't like the sound of stripping threads!! PTFE will be purchased then for the sender and I won't use anything on the turbo feed.

Finally things are slowly coming together, without the help of you guys I'd be totally lost and one other saviour, the how to rebuild your OHC Datsun engine book.

PTFE or polytetrafluoroethylene, is the right thing to use, it is practically inert so that it will not react with oils and fuels plus it has high temperature resistance, one of the advantages to using "thread tape" is that no bits will fall off and clog those little oil ways, where as sealants have been known to break away with catastrophic effect.
As Ben says use sparingly but wind tightly so that the tape binds to the thread roots

Thanks Skiddel.

One other question, can I use Universal Blue on the oil pump gasket which mates onto the timing cover? And do I use no sealer for the inner oil pump gasket, the gasket located within the two halves of the oil pump?

A thin smear of blue will hold the gaskets in place during assembly. That is what is was designed for not to be a sealent as such.

I have used PTFE tape in the past on the thermostat housing when using a plug after doing away with the manifold water pipe.

Actually universal blue is a sealant by design - this from the horses (hylomar) mouth when I rang up to ask them what to use for my daihatsus head gasket.

I would be _very_ wary of using it on oilways though. even a thin smear, once squeezed between two metal surfaces, can result in large amounts squeezing into the oilways. its amazing how little actually stays in the joint!

as always, with an oil way, simply tighten it. if it leaks, tighten it harder :)

Back