S30 / GS30: Nuts, Bolts and Washers Identification

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Ok I'm hoping that my problem might actually create a useful thread!

The previous owner of my car had dismantled it several times and as such the fixings were all moved around / damaged / missing / replaced with stainless steel / self-tapping screws etc. I'm on the hunt for the correct fixings but without knowing what the originals look like makes it difficult - Google gives you different pictures for the same fixings as people around the world have obviously hit the same type of problems. Ordering from stores also doesn't help as several incorrect fixings I have imported will attest to.

So here's an idea.

If you have a car / multiple cars where you know that the fixings are original, next time you have it apart please post up a picture here showing all the component parts of the fixing (Bolts, Screws, Washers, any special clips etc.) and giving:
  • Details of what the fixing is
  • Model
  • Year
  • Part number (if you know it)
Hopefully, if we get enough pictures - this will help somebody identify that bolt hidden at the bottom of the loose screws box and easily sort out that big box of stuff coming back from the platers.

(If there's somebody out there who's got a currently dismantled a pretty original car while bagging and tagging everything who fancies documenting everything all at once - there's some beer in it for you from me EXTRA:D)

Last edited:

Wally

Club Member
I've been noting bolt sizes as I've been putting things back together. Mostly because I've ordered new. It was definitely worth buying a set of calipers and thread gauge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
To get started with a couple of basic ones I have:

20200909_142627.jpg
'72 240Z Front Valance clip/nut (63140-78500)

20200909_142618.jpg

'72 240Z Rear Panel Finisher Clips (79907-E4101)

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
The factory part numbers - for the most part - contain most of the information you require, albeit in coded form. They conform to the Nissan Engineering Standard (NES) system, which is complicated but not undecipherable. It just takes some time and patience.

There's a pretty good explanation - in English! - on the web somewhere. I'm sure I've seen it...

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I'm still hoping to get the picture thread going but that's amazing!

Paul_S

Club Member
It looks like someone could automate deciphering the NES code. It would be great to have a website that did it, or even something like an Excel spreadsheet.

Wally

Club Member
Would it not be more beneficial to list the size of the bolt rather than a part number? Such as:

Dash bolts upper - m5x1 15mm

I believe this would be more helpful for anyone ordering replacements.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Would it not be more beneficial to list the size of the bolt rather than a part number?

People can add that if they wish but the photos are the important bit. As I said in the opening post, ordering replacements isn't the point as they often don't have the right appearance / washers etc. The idea is to document exactly what the OEM ones are so people can decide for themselves how close a match they want.