Rough costs on LHD to RHD conversion...

grahamjc

Well-Known Forum User
A friend has asked me and I have no idea, so I am asking here :)

LHD -> RHD conversion:-
-Rough cost?
-Parts required?
-Any other details?

Thanks

RHD steering rack
RHD steering column
Pedal box
Dash and dash loom
Other RHD looms (although I think datsun dave used the LHD rear loom flipped over!)
Bulkhead reinforcing plates inner and outer (e.g. the one that the master cylinders are attached to and steering passes through)
Bulkhead bracket for mounting column (although something could be fab-ed)
RHD wiper setup (*)
RHD cowl panel (* although you can leave the LHD wipers in place if you don't find it weird!)
Heater and heater blower motor units
RHD battery tray
RHD washer bottle mounting bracket from inner wing
RHD bonnet release cable
UK/Euro rear lights

If i've missed anything, I'm sure someone will comment.

Price - no idea. Whatever it costs to get the bits (I've never kept a tab on what I've collected unfortunately), plus labour to do the conversion, repaint etc. Lots of careful measuring, moving of various fittings/mounting points around in firewall, hole cutting, spot weld removal and welding etc.

You could do an entire RHD bulkhead swap - which has been done a number of times I'm sure (maybe keeping the UK V5 of the donor if you are a naughty boy...) but that is the most complex requiring some careful deconstruction and possibly bracing of the shell. The alternative is to remove the LHD features from the existing bulkhead and move the ones that just need to be moved, and fit RHD donor parts to the new driver's side. This can be done to varying levels of neatness. Fourways Engineering's RHD swaps retain the LHD reinforcing plate on the bulkhead as well as adding the RHD one. Personally, I think that looks messy. Neater is to remove the LHD features and weld the holes up/plate from behind. See datsun dave's hybrid build thread for how this can look.

I've never executed the above but I know various people who have and I plan to do it to my next Z which will be a Cali import. To that end, I have pretty much everything required (and if I never get around to it, I have some great spares for my other Z!).

Most convenient approach tbh is to have a complete, but fecked RHD donor available to chop up for everything you need. Otherwise, like I did, you have to hunt around collecting it all up.

Duncan at Z Farm or Fourways should be able to provide a price for them doing it I would've thought. They'd have all the parts too.

The electrical side of things should not be underestimated, dash loom compatability can set you back many many hours with subtle variations between early middle and late cars, even switch gear can cost tens of hours of fault finding, for instance there are at least 3 types of hazard warning switch, the one you have might not be compatable with the new (old) loom you aquire, get the wrong one and you'll be chasing indicator faults all day long.

BTW this is all from experiance first hand

Theoretically you could flip the rear and dash loom so they join on the LHS rather than the RHS but this will add other complications like heater supply and indicator/light stalk wiring.

Its not for the feint hearted

There's a reminder from Steve - RHD column switch-gear is the reverse of LHD - and has differences (US didn't have the flasher button for example). So add that to the list. It can all get a bit fiddly on the campatability side.

Again, having a complete donor is a bonus. Otherwise, you need to be prepared to muck around quite a bit (I look forward to that myself.....)

Long list!!! Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Couple of things that we didnt even think of

No problem. Basically you have three areas of challenge:
Collecting all the bits;
Executing the physical swap (metalwork and bolt-on part fitment);
Making the electrics play nice.

All good fun. Definitely do-able but not a cinch!

Door cards are handed too. As are dogleg trim panels that go behind doors/under quarter glasses. RHS has a cut out for the rear loom (opposite on LHD car). Thanks to datsun dave for that info - only discovered that one last week!

You will also need a RHD accelerator pedal and the fittings, if your in the Cheshire area you are welcome to see how I did mine LHD to RHD swop.

Hi, I am in the middle of correcting a RHD conversion, the biggest headache is changing the outside air intake and blanking off the old one, luckily I managed to source a RHD blower and all the bits, you definitely need a heater matrix and blower assembly right up to the bulk head, then you will find a gap which needs to be filled. I plan to use the upside down LHD one to fill the gap then make a cowl so I do not get wet.
Good luck with yours

Back