Rolling Road Figures

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
RRTuneZ.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just thought I'd post up rolling road test results from a tuning session last month. It is a low mileage standard L24 engine except bigger bore exhaust and ITK air filters/no box. Tuner said he'd had a Z in the week before and after he's done his best with it was putting out 130bhp. He said mine would be similar due to age, wear and tear etc and laughed when I said I expected to see close to the factory claimed 150bhp from new. We had a friendly bet on the outcome as I couldn't' get him to put his hand in his pocket and offer a free test if I was nearer. Results made me happy enough anyway.

Nooooo, not L28, matching number original L24 engine but only done 36k miles from new so just run in :)

On the 'face of it' they seem good figures - :thumbs:

By the way I had a matching numbers 240Z - but the engine was bored and stroked to 2.8 ;)

Nice one Rob, but this is definitely a factory standard L24.

Full history from new with every invoice for parts, service, upgrades etc so comprehensive even includes a little book with every petrol fill up and mileage noted, takes all sorts !

3.3 US spec.diff replaced with 3.9 R200 lsd but still running 4 speed box means quicker through the gears but lower top speed figure of just 105mph at 5600rpm ?

That is a great engine!! What i find interesting is that your Pdrag figure (which I assume are transmission losses) is 25% of your flywheel power. It's nuts how much power is lost in turning cogs!!!

Ali K

Its not just turning cogs though, the majority of power is lost through tyres (or deformation of)
With gearbox and diff losses coming in next, generally I use either 18 or 22% depending on which way you calculate (FW to RW or RW to FW) and depending on type of diff and size of tyres

Nice clean figures btw and good to see the inspector was Mr Smiles

Last edited by a moderator:
So where are all the "you can't believe dyno figures" type posts we normally see when such topics are discussed?

If this data came from Rebello it would have been dismissed as hugely optimistic by now....

I just thought looking at the curve it hadn't actually dropped off?

It finishes at 5600 which will be max power tho.
Perhaps the owner didnt wish to see it revved much higher.;)
I wouldnt blame him either.
I have just been watching my slicktop being hammered on multiple power runs right up to 7200 when the Emerald starts to intervene..
Im quite used to it and instructed the operator to map it to the max:eek:................... but it can be a worrying experience for many owners who are precious or protective over their car/investment. No shame in it really.

Spot on for the power, me-thinks the exhaust may be helping it a little, but engine is obviously in good nick.:thumbs:
Looks like you may have got a couple more by taking it to 6000:unsure:
Nice to see a dyno run on standard engine.

Nice to see a dyno run on standard engine.

As has been mentioned, this is not a standard engine.

What would be nice is to see a bone stock HC L24 engine bolted up to an engine dynamometer in the same form that Nissan used to give its power figures (ie no ancillaries... ) and see what the figures are.

The engine in question here is said to be giving more than Nissan's own figures for an engine without an alernator / fan belt. Amazing what a zorst and filter upgrade can give...

So where are all the "you can't believe dyno figures" type posts we normally see when such topics are discussed?

If this data came from Rebello it would have been dismissed as hugely optimistic by now....

Hence:

On the 'face of it' they seem good figures................

Pete, I've been shut in a dnyo environment when my old car was dyno'd. It would rev higher than we took it but the tester didn't want to take it higher than 6k. It was a bit scary too.

This is a standard engine apart from as mentioned a different exhaust and filters !!
Why oh why do you have to diss everyones cars etc with your negative opinions.

A dyno figure is a dyno figure, everyone knows that they vary depending on weather and dyno to dyno, so whats your problem??

The chap is happy with the figures and quite rightly so.

I already mentioned the exhaust was probably helping a bit!!

Do you think all engines produce the same power?;)

Iam away to have a DRIVE IN MY ZED TO COOL OFF:driving:

As has been mentioned, this is not a standard engine.

What would be nice is to see a bone stock HC L24 engine bolted up to an engine dynamometer in the same form that Nissan used to give its power figures (ie no ancillaries... ) and see what the figures are.

The engine in question here is said to be giving more than Nissan's own figures for an engine without an alernator / fan belt. Amazing what a zorst and filter upgrade can give...

Well as a comparison this was done on my freshly rebuilt engine 4 years ago. It is for all intense and purposes a stock engine with only the addition of a Janspeed Header and SS exhaust.

Attachments

• Dyno Results.pdf
    336.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I'm still impressed! Esp with the near table top mountain torque curve and progressive power curve.

My diesel has double the torque but delivers it far less smoothly than Chris's yummy Z!!

Ali K

Back