Retro cars brands hatch open pit lane on 1st August

GTR-240Z

Well-Known Forum User
Retro cars and clubmsv are doing an open pit lane on the 1st of August at Brands Hatch. I've been to a clubmsv organised open pit lane at Brands before and it was a well organised track day and you get around two and half hours to blast around to your own pace.
Thought the Retro cars one was interesting since there should be some decent retro cars taking part so I've signed up. Don't know if anybody else is interested?

Event Details

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Some thoughts

Helmet, drivers licence, good pre prep such as water, oil etc, good tyres (don’t have to be track day), light comfortable footwear.

One of the most common shocks people get is the "3 laps in with no brakes and I need new underpants" syndrome,
To avoid that you need good brakes with good pads and good fluid (not the £1.99 stuff from your local car bar) good fluid (not silicon) has a high boiling point (500F plus) and will resist fade better but its not cheap and needs changing every year.

No visible fluid leaks, arms usually covered

Plenty of fluids to drink, its amazing how strenuous it is

Its advisable to make any towing points easily visible (in an "off" situation, marshals will want to move your car as quick as possible and are not always too sympathetic as to where they attach hooks)

johnymd

Club Member
Booked mine a few weeks ago. Should be a good day with a few of us. Give me a bell Terry and we could meet up on the way. 07785960533.

Retro want to do a photo shoot for the mag latter this year so Andy Basoo (deputy editor) will be there so our 3 car should get some good attention.

tel240z

Club Member
Well what a day, had a great time with even better company enjoy the pics will post some vids later

Attachments

• LMP_4221_Blue.JPG
    LMP_4221_Blue.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • LMP_4222_Blue.JPG
    LMP_4222_Blue.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • LMP_4225_Blue.JPG
    LMP_4225_Blue.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 26

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Great pictures. The open face helmet seems to make you drive like a lunatic ;).

Did John go too?

Donington on the 10th (evening)?

Last edited by a moderator:

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Tel

On one photo you are wearing an open face and on another a closed face, do you have more than one helmet, did you change mid track....whats going on

Anyway aside from continuity issues, it looked like you had a great time, just one question did Bannister take his M3 around the track, I know it was a classics event but he is knocking on a bit.

tel240z

Club Member
Ha Ha no M3 on the track he said it was to heavy with all that computer stuff on board , although i did get all the info at the breifing I think he fancies a rear wheel drive alfa.
I hired a helmet for my boys to have a ride round the track and i preffered the open one, Rob yes John was there complete with flames out of the tail pipe

Last edited by a moderator:

GTR-240Z

Well-Known Forum User
It was a fantastic day yesterday and a very good turn out. Thanks to everybody that come and made it such a good day.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Hang on a minute Stilesy, you said you couldnt make Donington on the 10th because you were too afraid to take the time off (new job and all that)....yet you managed to do Brands though, hmmm something fishy there.

Its a shame Brands is so damn far away ......serves me right for not living near the centre of the universe

tel240z

Club Member
Yes Steve at the time i thought £119 worse off cant take the kids round all for 3 db's over, the limit was 102 and i made 105 at 4500 revs, ( thank god for ali coke cans) :bow: even at 4000 revs it was still at 100

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
102 db limit is quiet high I am suprised you were over it.

Had you got a center section box fitted

tel240z

Club Member
yep centre box fitted and you know what system i have I'll try and post a couple of vids of in car action and some drive by