Replacing rear hatch struts?

Hi,
I just emailed them and then realised that their telephone number is the same as SGS!....Must be the same company?

Two different addresses both in the Derby area!
Two different web sites...
Must be some link though...?

I got replacement struts from SGS for my 280zx. I am happy with them and they fitted no problem, the only thing is they are pretty powerful.

I got replacement struts from SGS for my 280zx. I am happy with them and they fitted no problem, the only thing is they are pretty powerful.

Hi,
Did you give them a part number, or measure the struts on your car?....I've given them the sizes and thicknesses etc, but they have said a part no. would also help!

Two different addresses both in the Derby area!
Two different web sites...
Must be some link though...?
Hi,
I have got a reply to my email from the same chap that contacted me from SGS, asking if I had got his original email, so they must be linked?

Hi,
Did you give them a part number, or measure the struts on your car?....I've given them the sizes and thicknesses etc, but they have said a part no. would also help!

I sent off the original struts to them. They re-gassed them, but reckoned they were leaking when they tested them, so they made up new ones to match.

".... New struts are available at a cost of £74.02 for the pair delivered (£27.75 per strut plus £7.50 postage and VAT), are covered by a two year guarantee and are available on next day delivery.
A re-gas is £38.19 delivered for the pair (£12.50 per strut plus £7.50 postage and VAT) ."

I have a few struts knocking about, not sure what they are off or if they work?

Get a measurement and I'll see if they are equal.

I have a few struts knocking about, not sure what they are off or if they work?
Get a measurement and I'll see if they are equal.

Hi,
The strut length is 770mm and the stroke when the strut is open is 250mm.The cylinder bore is 18mm and the rod is 8-9mm.

Hi,
I see that over on a US 280ZX forum, an owner has fitted Z32 2+2 struts to his 280ZX Coupe.They just have to be fitted upside down instead!
Don't know if they would work on a 2+2 280ZX though...suppose the hatch is a different size and opening???

IMG_2356.jpg

Hi,
I see that over on a US 280ZX forum, an owner has fitted Z32 2+2 struts to his 280ZX Coupe.They just have to be fitted upside down instead!
Don't know if they would work on a 2+2 280ZX though...suppose the hatch is a different size and opening???
....................................................................................................................................................

I wouldn't have thought half an inch either way would matter as struts usually have about an inch of rod showing when closed. If it's a bit shorter it just wouldn't open as high.

Or you could do as I did on my late 280 zx 2+2 and use 2 pairs side by side - I did an article years ago for the mag - just don't ask me which back issue off hand :eek:

Back