replacement engine - what should I do???

abas

Well-Known Forum User
Well, a bit of help please from those in the know

I have put a used engine that has been sat for some time in my car with a view to getting it going. Now I can turn it over on the starter I adjusted the tappetts and gave it a compression test. 150, 150, 100, 160, 160, 170. Adding oil to the cylinders doesn't seem to make much difference, so I assume the problem with number 3 cylinder is the valves from where it has sat. What I would like to know is whether I can use this engine as is. Is it likely that the engine will loosen up after a few hundred miles, any dirty valves/stuck rings freeing off?

Now I really don't want to start getting involved in taking off the head stripping it down and grinding in the valves. My budget is zero, and if I have to do any head work then it is likely that the car will sit for another 5 years before I can do anything, or I will just sell it cos I am starting to get to the end of my tether with constant 2 steps forward and (it seems) 3 steps back all the time

thanks for any help

Andrew

Hi Andrew, there maybe some carbon on the valve seats etc stopping a good seal, I would continue with the build as It will probably clear when started and run for a while,
If it deosn't I'll help you take the head off and check out the valve gear etc.
No probs be good to see how it's coming on.
Nick...

i'd go along with running it for a bit, do a few miles 50 or so very gently, then see. you may even find one you've had it running in the garage things may get much better. carry on with the project, you've got a light at the end of the tunnel judging by your pics...well done!

You probably are, but just a reminder to make sure that you have the throttle held fully wide open when compression testing.

Andrew,

Double check the tappets.

Re-check compression, if still 100psi with full throttle and charged battery give it a try but expect to have to take the head off!

Head off is not a big job, but just stop that cam chain from falling into the front cover.

We've all been at this point some time but you'll feel differently once you've accepted the situation.

If the engine is in a bad way PM me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Abas, as Grolls said run it for a while. Ive done lots of these long standing engines some which have stood for five years or more and after running it up for fifteen mins or so you will find that the compressions will come back to normal. When the engine is stood for a long time there will be at least two valves open so damp gets in and you tend to get a bit of corrosion on the face of the valve which wont let it seat properly but running it sorts it out. Adrian.

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement.

As seems to be the conscensus, I will try to run it as is, and will see what happens. With a bit of luck I won't need to bother zed2k or Rob, but thank you both for the kind offers of assistance.

cheers

Andrew

Back