Replace fuel lines

Graham Palmer

Club Member
Hi all, has anyone replaced their fuel lines, while the car is complete ?. .ie prop shaft, engine, gearbox etc still inplace ?..

Also making and terminating the lines themselves ?

I have access to a lift, so I can get access underneath easily.

Any advice welcome,

Thanks all, G

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I did it with hose rather than hard lines. I just cable tied it to the old hard lines. Quite easy. I'd think changing hard lines would need everything out.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I assume this is the 240z routing? The 260 needs nothing off but rear ARB.

I did it with hose rather than hard lines. I just cable tied it to the old hard lines. Quite easy. I'd think changing hard lines would need everything out.
Is that safe / legal?

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Its had 15 MOTs and 40k miles since then so I'll say yes.

Late 260 routing is outside the trans tunnel, earlier ones, same as 240.
I only ask because I believe that that it isn't as much about longevity or efficacy of its function as it is about safety in the unlikely but possible event of a big accident, where metal fuel lines deform but rubber ones can be ripped.

The MOT only checks for leaks or damage not type of fuel line - I think! Happy to be corrected.

I was also under the impression that in the case of an incident where the car catches fire, is inspected and found to have rubber fuel lines where they should be metal, then the insurance company can rightfully decline your claim.

As for longevity: the PO on mine had used rubber ones where the routing got difficult and when I took them off I discovered that at most points where these lines were held, they had signs of being rubbed away / weakened. My favourite one was the routing / fouling over the rear ARB!!! Love the fact that no consideration was given to the fact the the ARB is CONSTANTLY moving when the vehicle is moving! ;)

IMG_4723.jpeg

@Graham Palmer - it’s your car and up to you what you do, but if you’re doing the job you may as well do it right! I know the early cars are a total PITA to do this job on, but is there no way to just loosen things and “move” them in situ to gain better access and do some swearing while you do the job? If you do go the rubber route, make sure you secure them to the car with something other than tie wraps or metal clamps without rubber - literally every point on my rubber fuel lines the PO had installed which was held on by metal clamps had vibration wear. And I suspect they were on the car for 10k miles.

Last edited:

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I only ask because I believe that that it isn't as much about longevity or efficacy of its function as it is about safety in the unlikely but possible event of a big accident, where metal fuel lines deform but rubber ones can be ripped.

The MOT only checks for leaks or damage not type of fuel line - I think! Happy to be corrected.

I was also under the impression that in the case of an incident where the car catches fire, is inspected and found to have rubber fuel lines where they should be metal, then the insurance company can rightfully decline your claim.

As for longevity: the PO on mine had used rubber ones where the routing got difficult and when I took them off I discovered that at most points where these lines were held, they had signs of being rubbed away / weakened. My favourite one was the routing / fouling over the rear ARB!!! Love the fact that no consideration was given to the fact the the ARB is CONSTANTLY moving when the vehicle is moving! ;)

View attachment 61247

@Graham Palmer - it’s your car and up to you what you do, but if you’re doing the job you may as well do it right! I know the early cars are a total PITA to do this job on, but is there no way to just loosen things and “move” them in situ to gain better access and do some swearing while you do the job? If you do go the rubber route, make sure you secure them to the car with something other than tie wraps or metal clamps without rubber - literally every point on my rubber fuel lines the PO had installed which was held on by metal clamps had vibration wear. And I suspect they were on the car for 10k miles.
Don't worry Ali, I won't make you drive it.