r200 diff flanges and output shafts

abas

Well-Known Forum User
Help!!!

I need to remove the front flange and the output shafts from an r200 diff I have to put onto a much better one .

I have remove the main pinion nut but the front flange won't come off. Is it OK to use heat to move it?

According to what I have read the output shafts should just 'pull out'. Fat chance. I have tried levering them out with tyre levers etc. Any tips from those who have been there and done this?

As always any help gratefully received

cheers

Andrew

Can you get a gear/hub puller on the front flange? I've only done the one which was a 200SX so a lot newer, came of quite easily. The side flanges are a sod, I managed to get mine out with a slide hammer and a fair amount of bad language. I drilled up a bit of angle steel and bolted that to the flange so I could get the slide hammer centrally located, still bent the hooky bit though :(

Cheers,
Rob

Output flanges just pop out with a tyre lever. Judicious use of a hammer on the tyre lever might be neccessary to get the circlip to pop.
Its not so much about huge amounts of force its all about how and where to apply it!

Yes my side flanges were no problem so get a tyre lever on either side and try to 'snap' them out. Front pinion no experience but heat seems a bit drastic, puller better IMHO.

Definitely use a puller on that input flange, you'll bugger up the seals and dry out the bearings with heat.

thanks for the replies guys. As well I held off on the blowtorch on the front flange I think. For once I didn't go at it like a bull in a china shop

Success with the output flanges, with the help of the goddess 'improvisation'. In lieu of a slide hammer I hung the diff from my son's garden swing by a driveshaft on each output shaft and beat the output shaft with a hammer and tyre lever, and out they came. As I also stocked up on bad language I am sure that helped too ( thanks Black Bug ;))

Bought a puller today and will try to get the front flange off later.

cheers

Andrew

Success on removing the front diff flange with a puller. I was still so tight I had to use a gentle bit of heat to get it moving.

The problem might have been that there is some kind of yellow goo on the splines. Perhaps this is some kind of thread locking stuff to stop the flange from falling off if the main nut comes loose?

Thanks again for all the help

Andrew

Back