Quick one: Installing Cardone reman Dizzy question?

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Hi all,

I'm replacing my Dizzy. Have a 280z remanufactured one from cardone.

It has two wires. Red and green. They of course don't match any on my car (240z). So just wanting to double check. I'm kind of assuming the red is the positive power and the green one would connect to my present black wire.

Any tips appreciated before i do this?

Regards, Graeme

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Can't you ask the supplier?

I've written to Cardone and asked the question, though I hold little hope in them provide concrete wiring details. What we tried didn't work, so rather than do a bit of a trial and error, keen to establish how it should be correctly wired.

Wondering if anyone on the forum has done one of these upgrades?

Regards, Graeme

Bazzateer

Club Member
Strange it didn't come supplied with wiring instructions. Hopefully what you tried and didn't work hasn't fried the internals. I'd wait to hear from them or call them before trying anything else.

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Strange it didn't come supplied with wiring instructions. Hopefully what you tried and didn't work hasn't fried the internals. I'd wait to hear from them or call them before trying anything else.

yes, fingers crossed with that. Thankfully wasn’t too expensive.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Cardone aren't going to tell you how to fit their parts to cars they didn't supply the parts for.
I'd search for a wiring diagram on US forums.
have you still got a ballast resistor?
I'd move all the wires on the ballast resistor to the same terminal and connect the red there too. And then the green to the - ve terminal of the coil.

Last edited:

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Cardone aren't going to tell you how to fit their parts to cars they didn't supply the parts for.
I'd search for a wiring diagram on US forums.
have you still got a ballast resistor?
I'd move all the wires on the ballast resistor to the same terminal and connect the red there too. And then the green to the - ve terminal of the coil.
I'd think the red should go to

Hi Jon - the ballast resistor was removed when i replaced the coil. The test we tried was red on positive terminal on the coil and green on the other side. That of course didn’t work, so decided to stop there and do so some further research.

Given the ballast is already gone, I’m curious what you’d maybe think?

Cheers, Graeme

Fairlineguy

Club Member
If it’s like the one I have on mine .
It will have a black igniter on the side of the distributor with x2 wires
One marked B the other C
B goes to + on coil. (Battery)
C goes to - on coil. (Contact breaker)

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
If it’s like the one I have on mine .
It will have a black igniter on the side of the distributor with x2 wires
One marked B the other C
B goes to + on coil. (Battery)
C goes to - on coil. (Contact breaker)

Being a remanufactured dizzy, you can tell it’s been optimised. We kind of did what you mention, with the Red and Green wires. Red to + and green to - on the coil. No spark.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
the wires from a 280z distributor go to the remote ignition module, and then wires from it got to +ve and coil - ve, as that classiczcars.com thread explains.

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Being a remanufactured dizzy, you can tell it’s been optimised. We kind of did what you mention, with the Red and Green wires. Red to + and green to - on the coil. No spark.
I’m guessing that you might have the remote module type dist tha Jon mentioned
Here’s a photo of the distributor I have and the wiring I referred

Attachments

• A9C43724-064B-49BF-A362-6363FE6B7494.jpeg
    A9C43724-064B-49BF-A362-6363FE6B7494.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 22

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
So it would appear I had a (faulty) 280zx Distributor on my 280z engine which is inside my 240z. I bought a remanufactured Distributor from RockAuto for a 280z (not knowing what I had) Somewhat stumped by the wiring now.

I think we’ve ascertained that I need to retain the module from the old one, assuming it can just be detached and placed somewhere else on the car. Assuming I can do that (does anyone know), then the question is then how do I do the wiring. All i had coming off the new one was Red wire and a green wire. Any ideas?

@stuart barrie

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
if you look in the 280zx distributor, there are red and green wires that connect to the e12-80 module. so I suspect you can take the red and green wires of your 280z distributor and connect them to you e12-80 module, and then connect the C & B terminals on the e12-80 to the coil as @Fairlineguy described above.
(that assumes that the e12-80 module isn't what was broken on your 280zx distributor, which is a long shot, because it often is the bit that breaks)

Mark N

Club Member
As discussed above, the 280Z distributor requires a separate ignition module that is found in the passenger footwell.

Early
Early.jpeg
Late
Late.png

The later 280ZX distributor has this ignition module mounted integrally as the 'matchbox' module (E12-80 on @Fairlineguy's photo).

The two wires on the 280Z distributor run to either side of the pick-up coil.

Screen Shot 2021-07-07 at 11.41.24 AM.png

Graeme - CZ

Club Member
Is the consensus that I could potentially connect to the e12-80 module which is currently attached to the old ZX dizzy? Maybe just attach it to the wing, adjacent to the coil.

If so, then the question becomes just how to wire that correctly.

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Just to double check If you have the module I’ve attached in the photo .
(It’s the same as the one I’m running.)
When I wired mine I Simply took a wire from the B terminal and connect it to the + poss side of the coil and connect the C terminal to the - neg side of the coil. (This module is all self contained)

Attachments

• 99BB80B4-E969-403B-821C-258DA091D204.png
    99BB80B4-E969-403B-821C-258DA091D204.png
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 7

Fairlineguy

Club Member
Just to double check If you have the module I’ve attached in the photo .
(It’s the same as the one I’m running.)
When I wired mine I Simply took a wire from the B terminal and connect it to the + poss side of the coil and connect the C terminal to the - neg side of the coil. (This module is all self contained)

Oh forgot to say you don’t need to run a ballest resistor and coil
A standard 12v non ballest coil is all that’s needed