programmable variable ratio supercharger

atomman

Club Member
interesting design, looks like a turbo but with a belt drive and there using a CVT to get the variable ratios

any one remember the DAF

DAF55Transmission.jpg

bigblock

Well-Known Forum User
Remember it well and the other dafs with belt driven cvt/variomatic,,,anyone for daf 55s and the preceding others/and the illustrious volvo 66(basically a daf55 with cosmetics) and 340 lol,i think all the manufacturers have done variations of the system at some point(not just using cones and belts) some nissan jukes are using the steel belt system.

atomman

Club Member
Nissan jukes ? Didn't know that ,

I was involved with a hybrid project a few years ago that used a CVT to assist the engine and charge a super capicitor with a lynch motor, sort of like the Kerhs system , my head used to ache from working out spring rates and bobin weight calculations, we also had on one the car we devopled with a 22 degree 2.0 litre V10

bigblock

Well-Known Forum User
my head used to ache from working out spring rates and bobin weight calculations, we also had on one the car we devopled with a 22 degree 2.0 litre V10
Lol,i take it the spring and bob weight calculi wasnt all done on paper and a slide rule, mine would explode.22 deg v10 sounds very close to the lancia 22deg v12 ,admit it the idea was pinched lol.

atomman

Club Member
Lol it probably was the chief engineer was a bit of an odball to be fair, some great ideas but all nicked from other designs , the combustion chambers were nicked from a formulae 1 engine that we happen to come across the blue prints for lol

connaught06_zpsa4fqmo3r.jpg

It wasnt the most attractive car thou

Connaught_Type_D_GT_Syracuse_-_Flickr_-_edvvc_zpsqqqhpxm9.jpg

I still can't work out how it got it on the concour's de exerlance lawn at Goodwood

bigblock

Well-Known Forum User
Oh well,maybe not cosmetically but on the engineering side at least something was probably learned.Apologies if ive offended, and the car is a favourite poster pin up on the wall.Ps is that a fabricated block? and had you anything to do with oxford brookes uni.

atomman

Club Member
Oh well,maybe not cosmetically but on the engineering side at least something was probably learned.Apologies if ive offended, and the car is a favourite poster pin up on the wall.Ps is that a fabricated block? and had you anything to do with oxford brookes uni.

No worries no offence taken it was a bloody ugly car lol and just a job , the block was our own casting designed in house , no nothing to do with Oxford brookes uni but funny enough my girlfriend was studying there till last year.