Painting plastic panels/trim

toopy

Club Member
Im soon to be removing my rear light panels for repainting, i presume using a plastic specific primer is the best way to proceed or does it really not make any difference to normal run of the mill stuff?

plastics

Im soon to be removing my rear light panels for repainting, i presume using a plastic specific primer is the best way to proceed or does it really not make any difference to normal run of the mill stuff?

Plastic primer 1k aeorsal

then 2k primer it like you would or it will just flake of the plastics in chunks

how we do it in insurance bodyshops

Just be careful removing them, mine have gone really brittle and one snapped into 3 pieces pretty easily
I've glued it back together, will either reinforce with a little fibreglass on the rear, or found some carbon ones in the US so might treat it to some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plastic primer 1k aeorsal

then 2k primer it like you would or it will just flake of the plastics in chunks

how we do it in insurance bodyshops

Which is totally correct especially as you are dealing with modern highly flexible Urethane bumpers.
260Z rear light surrounds are made from much harder ABS type plastic , are very small and dont flex in use..
Hence my simpler cost cutting DIY home answer.Nicely keyed with 400/600 grit paper will allow any paint to adhere for a very long time.

Back