Paint -Whats Happened???

AD240Z

Club Member
When I bought my 240 earlier this year, it was apparant that it had had a recent and not entirely wonderful respray, but figured it would be ok for a few years, while I sort out other problems.

The car has been stored under a cover throughout summer, while I rebuild my garage, without problem. Until yesterday, when i removed the cover (which I do whenever it is dry/warm), and found that loads of tiny 'blisters' have started to appear under the paint.

Can anyone tell me whats happened? I there anything I can do to stop it getting worse? If we are talking respray, can anyone lend me a few quid to drown my sorrows this afternoon? :( :(

I'm no paint expert, but I believe this micro-blistering results from water getting trapped in the primer before the top coat is applied. Probably not baked before painting - e.g. primered, left outside overnight and then painted without use of an oven....:(

What MR F says above... agreed.. or maybe delayed reaction with layers of older non compatable paint. Or damp coming through from areas of rust/filler/bodge of said low quality respray.
Having cars stored outside under covers(of any type) long term is just bad news in my opinion. Better to let them get wet and then dry according to the whims of nature.

When I got my 260 it was the same story. Original colour bronze covered with a dodgy white respray. I'm afraid to say that less than a year later I had paint flakes the size of 10p pieces coming off.

Like Pmac says, even with the best will in the world a cover isn't ideal and that's because our weather here can just be damp for days - mist, fog, drizzle etc. That wet air will keep the car moist and even the most breathable cover won't let air circulate completely freely. The only covers that are ANY good are expensive - for goodness sake don't even dream of using an auto-factor vinyl special **shudder **.

A decent respray is the only real solution I think :-(

(paint experts correct me if I'm wrong of course)

Yeh, blistering can be from the thinners, but not that long after, I'd agree.

Mr.F sells a good cover, mines out in all weather and seems fine. The material is like a cloth really and multilayered, not cheap but better than a respray!

Check out my review im doing shortly...

Thanks for the info. chaps.

I have stood and stared with teary eyes for an hour this morning and ' maybe delayed reaction with layers of older non compatable paint' could be a goer.
I say this because I remember the guy saying the bonnet had been taken back to bare metal, and it seems ok (?). I guess time will now tell.

I have just returned from the diy place, where i have ordered a load of gear to
finish my garage, if weather permits. Else I think i'll get one of those covers.
Thanks again. :(

sounds very much like moisture trapped in the primer, which is then sweating through the top coats.

nothing for it but to start again AD240Z

keep the beer money for a re-spray.

Back