Overheating?

netpreference

Well-Known Forum User
My 260z seems to overheat fairly easily (I'm assuming it is as after a decent run it starts to 'choke' on high revs until I open it up again and cool it down)... I'm no mechanic but I've checked the obvious, water, oil, and the temp seems fairly stable too... any ideas? :confused:

Have you examined the water pump? It's sometimes difficult to detect early wear. Not a difficult job to replace but beware of cheap manufacturers, better to get a good quality replacement. There are some nasty pictures on here somewhere of the cheap stuff.

Derek Sulley said:
Have you examined the water pump? It's sometimes difficult to detect early wear. Not a difficult job to replace but beware of cheap manufacturers, better to get a good quality replacement. There are some nasty pictures on here somewhere of the cheap stuff.

Nope, haven't checked it but will do now.... appreciate the tip.

netpreference said:
My 260z seems to overheat fairly easily (I'm assuming it is as after a decent run it starts to 'choke' on high revs until I open it up again and cool it down)... I'm no mechanic but I've checked the obvious, water, oil, and the temp seems fairly stable too... any ideas? :confused:
You say the temp is stable, the gauge should be half way. It sounds to me like it is running rich, are you running std 260 carbs they could be the cause as you say "it starts to choke"

Mr Ex said:
You say the temp is stable, the gauge should be half way. It sounds to me like it is running rich, are you running std 260 carbs they could be the cause as you say "it starts to choke"

Yes, gauge doesn't get any higher than halfway and yes, I'm running standard carbs.... it's also 'pinking' when switched off after a long drive... any ideas if it is running too rich?

netpreference said:
Yes, gauge doesn't get any higher than halfway and yes, I'm running standard carbs.... it's also 'pinking' when switched off after a long drive... any ideas if it is running too rich?
Yes: find a quiet straight road & boot it through the gears & after a few seconds on full bore (you don't have to be doing over 70) press clutch down & knock out of gear & at same time swich the ignition off (make sure it is still on acc position so that steering doesn't lock on) then brake to a halt then take all the spark plugs out & check the colour of the tips on them all, they should be light grey. If they are black/sooty it is rich & if they are white it is weak. You say you are no mechanic do you have a plug spanner or a friend that has one or even go in the car with you? good luck.

Mr Ex said:
Yes: find a quiet straight road & boot it through the gears & after a few seconds on full bore (you don't have to be doing over 70) press clutch down & knock out of gear & at same time swich the ignition off (make sure it is still on acc position so that steering doesn't lock on) then brake to a halt then take all the spark plugs out & check the colour of the tips on them all, they should be light grey. If they are black/sooty it is rich & if they are white it is weak. You say you are no mechanic do you have a plug spanner or a friend that has one or even go in the car with you? good luck.
PS: If you don't know when the spark plugs were changed you should change them, they only cost around 2.50 each. Make sure you use NGK BPR6ES.

They were changed a few months ago while the car was being rebuilt at a garage. They did some basic engine 'cleanups' (ie plug change) but they are primarily a bodyshop and dont delve into the mechanics too heavily.

If it is the case that the car is running too rich/weak, what is the remedy (or are there many options?)

If it is the case that the car is running too rich/weak, what is the remedy (or are there many options?)[/quote]

260 carbs are shall we say not very good (c**p) chuck them in the bin thats the first thing I do if I buy a 260Z & fit some 240 carbs instead problem solved.

samuri-240 said:
If it is the case that the car is running too rich/weak, what is the remedy (or are there many options?)

260 carbs are shall we say not very good (c**p) chuck them in the bin thats the first thing I do if I buy a 260Z & fit some 240 carbs instead problem solved.[/quote]
Or as I did fit 280 ijection on.

netpreference said:
They were changed a few months ago while the car was being rebuilt at a garage. They did some basic engine 'cleanups' (ie plug change) but they are primarily a bodyshop and dont delve into the mechanics too heavily.

Do a plug chop first (as I said in #6) & check the colour then you know which way to turn ( or we will) . How long have you had the car & has the problem been there all the time but just got worse, or has it just appeared?

Mr Ex said:
Do a plug chop first (as I said in #6) & check the colour then you know which way to turn ( or we will) . How long have you had the car & has the problem been there all the time but just got worse, or has it just appeared?

I will try and give it a go this week.... had the car two years but its been in the bodyshop for most of that until being delivered back a month ago. It seems to have just appeared BUT to be honest its only recently (with the sun shining :cool: ) that I've taken it out for any decent amount of time so I wonder if it was always there but I didn't notice!?

With regard to the carbs, are they easy to get hold of and are just a straight swop? Or should I get a more sexy set and again, are they just a straight bolt on?

God.... I wish I knew how to use a spanner! :conf2:

With regard to the carbs, are they easy to get hold of and are just a straight swop? Or should I get a more sexy set and again, are they just a straight bolt on?

God.... I wish I knew how to use a spanner! :conf2:[/quote]

The 240 carbs come up for sale from time to time but make sure they are complete & include the manifold, heatshield & filter box then they are a straight forward swap just bolt them on. The problem with the 260 carbs is that they are tamper proof so you can't do anything with them. The other options would be to fit 2" SU's to your existing manifold but this is a more involved job or get a set of triples but that would mean re working the head etc. I have 2 sets of 240 carbs here if you need a set let me know.

Netpreference,
If you change your 260z "flat top" carbs, I have the whole lot, manifold, carbs and air filter box. As samuri-240 says, nobody wants them, but I will for a few quid. PM whenever you get them off....

Ian

netpreference said:
I will try and give it a go this week.... had the car two years but its been in the bodyshop for most of that until being delivered back a month ago. It seems to have just appeared BUT to be honest its only recently (with the sun shining :cool: ) that I've taken it out for any decent amount of time so I wonder if it was always there but I didn't notice!?

God.... I wish I knew how to use a spanner! :conf2:
Or the other alternative, be different & fit 280 injection.

Back