Original colour for exhaust manifold

toycollector10

Forum User
Hi, I have sourced a good used exhaust manifold for my 1971 240Z. I want to have it powder coated with high temperature paint to tidy it up. My question is:
What colour should it be. That is, what colour were they when they came out of the factory back in the 1970-'s?
Black? Grey? White? Silver?

Thanks, TC

what colour were they when they came out of the factory back in the 1970-'s?

I'm going to go for 'rust' :p

I didn't think powder coating worked on exhaust headers, won't it just melt off as its only a plastic coating?

Hi, I have sourced a good used exhaust manifold for my 1971 240Z. I want to have it powder coated with high temperature paint to tidy it up. My question is:
What colour should it be. That is, what colour were they when they came out of the factory back in the 1970-'s?
Black? Grey? White? Silver?

Thanks, TC

Serously though, is the exhaust manifold you have sourced a cast iron one piece or a tubular "header" ?.....if it was tubular then its not original equipment and you can paint it whatever colour you want, just don't powder coat it. High temperature paint is unreliable, the only sure fire method is ceramic coating (exhaust manifolds see many hundreds of degrees C and under extream conditions will glow red)

The cast iron one piece unit (original equipment) was unpainted

Back