NISMO exhaust

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
I need to start thinking about an exhaust system for my 260z.

The engine will have a NISMO manifold, but I'm not sure what to do with the rest of it.

I'm not really after a stainless steel one, and I'm not convinced by the idea of giving it to Joe Bloggs custom pipe fabricator.

I'm assuming that if NISMO have gone to the trouble of producing a tubular manifold for the L-series, then there must be an S30 system to go with it somewhere.

?????????? Help :)

Unless you have got a different Nismo manifold to me it comes without the Y piece which is the crux of the systems performance. As far as I'm aware there isn't a Nismo system available off the shelf although if you want a system that works have a word with Laurence at Motomec. Have plenty of money available!

zedhead260 said:
I'm not really after a stainless steel one, and I'm not convinced by the idea of giving it to Joe Bloggs custom pipe fabricator

Why not?

Stainless has a much greater longevity that mild steel for one and secondly your 'Joe Bloggs' custom is as you say specifically what you ask for :conf2:

So as long as you know what you want, what's the issue?

Personally, I've gone for custom stainless and I'm well happy :)

Rob, I can see your point, it could take a lot of development to produce an exhaust with the optimum flow / harmonics. I really don't think that the market is there for anyone to do it for the S30.

The next best option is a 'Joe Bloggs' system, which proivided you select a joe carefully will give you a system that is almost as good and a lifetime guarantee. An exhaust for life? Not bad for £300...

Depends entirely if you're going for "bling" or the optimum performance from your engine. I know Laurence has spent a lot of time creating a system that gives a much greater increase in performance than any other. If I'm not wrong I believe Skiddell has one on his car and could vouch for this. I doubt there are any Joe Bloggs out there who have invested the time and money to develop a system specifically for the 240/260. After all why have the best NISMO manifold and then fit a second rate system?

Don't forget GDS, I'm happy with my system and they have lots of Zed experience. I suspect they would prefer to include their own manifold in a system though.

Rob: I have heard varying reports about the GDS manifold. Is it a 6 into 1? The Nismo manifold is 6 into 2 into 1 which presumbably gives it better flow[ as long as you fit the right 2 into 1 Y piece ]. The problem, apparently, with the L series engine is that it has an inherent flat spot around 4000rpm [ which most Z owners are not even aware of ] and the Nismo manifold along with the longest Y piece you can fit all but eliminates this. Fitting this system by all accounts gives up to an additional 15bhp, which is not to be sneezed at. I'll dig out my manifold for a piccie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exhaust system design/length/diameter on an L6 are important in order to get the optimum out of the engine, and have a significant effect on the torque/power characteristics, affecting gas speed, scavenging, pulse waves, reversion blah blah blah*** (and most folks just think an exhaust system just gets the gas from one end of the car to the other). Included in this is the collector or Y pipe.
You can slap something on or get “Joe Bloggs” to cobble something together, but these have little or no scientific method behind them. Motomec have invested considerable time and effort getting this piece right so that it not only produces power and torque but the fit is mm perfect.
One could call it the "Emperors new clothes” or “snake oil” but multiple comparative dyno sheets don’t lie.

Beware though, if you want the best, be prepared to open your wallet.
An entire tuned system (inc Nismo header :D) will set you back well over £1K.

Other alternatives are available if you just want to get the exhaust gas from one end of the car to the other.

*** source "How to modify your Nissan and Datsun OHC engine"

Its interesting that there seems to be an agreement that there is a problem with where the exhaust goes from two to one. Now when I was looking to replace my exhaust I toyed with the idea of having a twin system as shown in How to Hotrod and Race your Datsun. Would this then solve the problem or would it then throw up even more issues? Apart from the obvious fitting.

All I can say is that the works rally cars had a twin system fitted which must count for something especially when you consider the vunerability of exhaust systems on rally cars.

My GDS system is 6-2-1. The only problem with it is that it doesn't 'split' at the bellhousing but further back. So to take the gearbox out it's an inlet/exhaust manifold off job!

I would have another anyday, but I would have another join designed into it.

GDS were very popular and didn't Big Sam have one? I understand Graham from 'G'DS was a friend of Spike's, they played in the same band.

Graham 'reworked' mine to route around the crankcase breather. It was originally for triple carbs (I'm using SU's) and I think the breather had to be modded for that configuration.

My NISMO header came without the y-piece. Can't remember where I got one (did you source it Mr F?) but rest of exhaust was done by Pipecraft in Basildon. They put in a small cherry just aft of the y-piece to cut down on resonance and I've been very happy with it. Backbox is a Kakimoto straight-through that was meant for the back end of a 300TT. Works fine!

Amazombi you be careful of them 'hooker's from America...look what happened to Hugh Grant:D

P.s Your Restoration is looking Great!!!!!!!! DJZ 60.:rolleyes:

Sorry I dont know what you mean about Hugh G.:conf2:
Thanks for youre answer about the rest. :bow:
Right now its going a bit slower, I`m afraid I cant make it until 15th of July to youre big meeting.:(
Best regards.

Thanks for the replies.

My PC at home is offline for the next few days (I'm using someone elses right now) - I'll compose a full response shortly.

:)

Hi Rob,
My opinion, is to go with the Motormec system. I was planning too, but I have, (as usual) gone a different route......

All,

Thanks for the replies. Sorry for not getting back to you all sooner, but I am now back online at home.

Nigel,

Had a chat with Laurence last week regarding this thread and the short answer is that there isn’t much available “off the shelf”. I’m aware of the middle section which Skids has fitted to his car and have been keeping it in mind (as well as the cost). The rear section which Laurence has patterned is no good to me as it’s an over axel fit and would require handbrake modifications. I suspect an over axel fit could cause me clearance problems due to the vast differences in ride height between my car and a Rally car.

It appears the reason why NISMO don’t produce the rest of the system for an S30 is because they don’t actually know what they are doing – It’s Nissan Motor Sport America that produce the header, and although it’s probably one of the better headers available to us folk, in reality it isn’t as good as some of the discontinued headers which once were for sale. It is good value though (and available in two sizes), and they probably sell them by the bucket load in the States, which is why they keep churning them out.

It’s fortunate that I haven’t purchased the NISMO header yet, as I do have the possibility of shipping something in from Japan (header or system, or both), but at this moment in time I have no idea of cost. I should know in the next few days, and then I can start making some comparisons. I’ll keep everyone posted, but I suspect budget will make it prohibitively expensive and I’ll end up with the NISMO item anyway.

I should add that the reason why I wished to find a complete “off the shelf” system was also to try and save me some hassle. When the car is finished and the engine is installed, I’ll need to MoT & tax it. No exhaust means no MoT, no MoT means no tax. So my only solution is to get the car towed down to Joe Bloggs, sit around all day supervising the fitting and then get it towed back. This will mean a day off work (maybe two) lots of buggering about with Jon’s trailer (so he’ll have to take a day off as well), or stump up the cost of transportation.

I’ll do all that if I really have to, but I’d rather not.

Bryn,

I’m really after optimum performance here (torque). Of course, due to its longevity, stainless would be the preferred material, but it is not the priority due to the cost premium. I’d rather have a mild steel system which worked efficiently than a stainless one which didn’t – even if the overall cost was the same.
Also, I don’t really feel I am qualified to specify what I need to Joe Bloggs. It takes hours upon hours of experience and dyno work to achieve the results I am after – which is why I call on the experts.

For mild street engines, pretty much any tubular header and larger bore system will be an improvement over stock, with only a 3% power difference between an “in tune” and an “out of tune” exhaust. However, as mild approaches near race, you could be looking at a 10% power difference. On an engine capable of producing 250bhp, that’s an expensive loss.

Tony,

I used Pipecraft when the car had its old engine. It was good quality mild steel which lasted for years and years. It sounded the nuts too.
It had a bad header on though (one of those 6 into 1’s) and never performed as well as the smaller diameter Janspeed which came before it, which just goes to show.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I forgot to mention the rear section was over axle with the obvious problems with the handbrake cable, but I am prepared to take the advantages to a rally car of this system and modify the cable to suit.

GDS used our rally car to pattern up a 240Z system a few years back. It already had their manifold (not as good as Nismo).

Their exhaust was very nice but got beaten up all the time so Laurence Evans modified it to run over the transmission like his own custom system. It then takes all of the available space and more and we fitted a hydraulic handbarke.

Hugh

Back